Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who is waiting for his delivery date, I’m curious: is the “phone as a key” working correctly for ANYBODY?
Works great for me normally.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a Tesla app-wide issue right now. I wasn’t able to access either the 3 or X via the app since last night.

Amazingly, the phone-as-key was still working for the 3 even with that issue.

BUT, when I still couldn’t access either car to pre-cool today (its hot again in PHX), i thought it was an issue with my login and I logged out of the app. Since it’s a TESLA issue (i confirmed by calling service), I can’t log back in now, and now I can’t open the 3 with the phone since its not logged into the app.

So, if I hadn’t logged out, it would likely continue to work (as it does for my wife’s Phone at the moment, since she didnt’ log out). But because I logged out and cant log back in, it isnt working.

Links to other threads about the Tesla app issue: App / API outage? (2018-04-21), App Connection down?

Works great for me normally.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a Tesla app-wide issue right now. I wasn’t able to access either the 3 or X via the app since last night.

Amazingly, the phone-as-key was still working for the 3 even with that issue.

BUT, when I still couldn’t access either car to pre-cool today (its hot again in PHX), i thought it was an issue with my login and I logged out of the app. Since it’s a TESLA issue (i confirmed by calling service), I can’t log back in now, and now I can’t open the 3 with the phone since its not logged into the app.

So, if I hadn’t logged out, it would likely continue to work (as it does for my wife’s Phone at the moment, since she didnt’ log out). But because I logged out and cant log back in, it isnt working.

Links to other threads about the Tesla app issue: App / API outage? (2018-04-21), App Connection down?
I did the same thing as of course I had no idea it was a systemwide issue until I looked at this thread. Bluetooth should still work to open and start car, but once we logged out we were sunk. Maybe this will be the final straw for Tesla to fork over key fobs.

Reactions: JES2
image.jpeg
Maybe this will be the final straw for Tesla to fork over key fobs.

It might depend on what EM knows, what he believes possible, and what he's being told. There's been plenty written about the "Elon Distortion Field" and how it's deflects facts a brilliant guy like EM would normally take action on. Distortion fields are useful when you're setting high goals that others believe are unattainable. No, we're going to do them.
They are dangerous when evidence contrary to your own beliefs bounce off.
For example...
Robin

I have found a work around for my iPhone. I normally carry the phone in the back pocket and as such it frequently fails as my body is between the phone and the door handle. If I rotate my hips, or have the phone in my hand it has always worked. Again sometimes in the back pocket starting can be an issue, but if in my front pocket or in the dock I have never had a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: landis
This is *not* good.
I am chaperoning a youth trip 2.5 hours from DC.
Car plugged in and charging, and I can’t get in the door.
Tesla is say “we tell people to bring the key as a backup” - um... No. Not what they said when I picked up the car...

And there is no way for them to resolve this. I now get to pay my niece (thank heavens she’s house-sitting for me, so she can get to the key and isn’t too far away) to drive the key to me...

So, looks like I have to keep the key in my wallet, and the phone is not really a key - which, tbh, it was a pretty poor key in the best of circumstances because I would constantly have to pull my phone out and unlock the car through the app anyway.

Second the motion to deliver WORKABLE key fobs to all M3 owners. Yesterday. Maybe in 2-3 years they’ll have debugged this issue, but for right now, this is *not* working.

I think I might be correct.

Tested the app and so much better connectivity with my iPhone

To clarify, the theory here is that Tesla purposely shut down their servers and disabled their app for all Tesla owners (including S&X) so that they could roll out software updates for the Model 3, despite having existing methods for doing so that DON'T needlessly disrupt the app for everyone?

To clarify, the theory here is that Tesla purposely shut down their servers and disabled their app for all Tesla owners (including S&X) so that they could roll out software updates for the Model 3, despite having existing methods for doing so that DON'T needlessly disrupt the app for everyone?

Not being a tech person, so it is possible for Tesla to update the app to fix connectivity.

I am not consistent on updating apps and iPhone updates. iPhone updates I always press remind me later.

So tesla probably shut the app down to update everyone instead of relying on us to do it ourselves.

Also many of us have a couple of vehicles listed on our Tesla apps.

This thread gets much more traffic, so I wanted to link to a post I just created that might get buried in a place where people won't see it: A Model 3 phone key workaround using Tasker on Android to reset Bluetooth automatically

I've figured out that at least for me toggling the phone's Bluetooth radio on/off reliably gets the phone to connect to the car and allows the phone key to work. I'm hoping people can test it out. I can't do it myself right now because my car is still stuck at the service center, but I'm really hopeful this workaround will address the phone key bugs we're all having on our Androids.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and jsmay311
Love the phone as key setup.
I didn’t realize what a pain carrying around a fob is. Now that I have experienced not needing to have it, I will never do back.
So to the people that asked if anyone has had good luck with it. Yes, I have.

The thread title is all about problems with the phone as key setup, so, most responses are negative experiences.
And yes, Tesla has, and continues to make improvements to the system.

I don’t think the outage had anything to do with upgrades to the phone as key system.
And I don’t think they will ever get every single person happy with it.
I empathize with those for which the system isn’t working smoothly.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
I did the same thing as of course I had no idea it was a systemwide issue until I looked at this thread. Bluetooth should still work to open and start car, but once we logged out we were sunk. Maybe this will be the final straw for Tesla to fork over key fobs.

Why would you need a key fob? There’s a keycard for just this situation. Carry a keycard on your person as backup or carry a fob...no diff except for the shape of the items.

Reactions: landis