Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less than 24 after taking delivery of our Model 3, this morning I got a "Sign-in Failed", There are no products linked to your Tesla account.
I called the support line and the tech support indicated that its "normal" and should be back within 72hrs.
Anyone else with this same issues?

Less than 24 after taking delivery of our Model 3, this morning I got a "Sign-in Failed", There are no products linked to your Tesla account.
I called the support line and the tech support indicated that its "normal" and should be back within 72hrs.
Anyone else with this same issues?
Had the same thing happen to us. They need time to update the Server at the Mothership. Took a couple of days. You learn to use the black credit card.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2

This can't actually be "normal", right??? They're actually saying your primary key is supposed to not work for the first 3 days?

Can you imagine any other brand new car's fob not working and that being considered "normal"?

This can't actually be "normal", right??? They're actually saying your primary key is supposed to not work for the first 3 days?

Can you imagine any other brand new car's fob not working and that being considered "normal"?
Um.... it's really not that big of a deal. Mine did the same thing but it only took 6-8 hours from when I noticed it (the morning after delivery day). It started working within 24 hours of delivery and I haven't had a single problem with either my phone or my wife's since. Same answer when I called Tesla.

I really think all of the key fob complaining/comparisons is like complaining, in 2007, that your new iPhone won't let you scroll through the letters on the 10-digit keypad when texting like your flip phone did.

• Disagree
Reactions: RTPEV

And the car is back on the account. As Jamnmon66 indicated, it was back in the account a few hours after it was removed from the account. I did notice that the phone is no longer set as a "key" and i have to go to the process to set it up again...

• Helpful
So, as if it's punishment for my negative comment earlier, both my wife's S7 & my Nexus 6p didn't unlock the car on walkup tonight. This is the first (& second) time we've had any problems in almost a week ownership.

Don't sweat it. We all want this car to turn out fantastic, but each one of us has requirements or expectations on what that actually means. I figure Tesla will eventually get this right, whatever that solution might end up being.

Reactions: cellogig
So, as if it's punishment for my negative comment earlier, both my wife's S7 & my Nexus 6p didn't unlock the car on walkup tonight. This is the first (& second) time we've had any problems in almost a week ownership.

First failure in a week for me too this morning. Behavior was different, through. The phone was clearly not connected to the car via BT, but I didn't have to toggle the BT or Airplane mode off/on to get it to work. I selected the Tesla under my Bluetooth devices, while standing outside of the car, which paired it conventionally and allowed me to open it right away.

Elon is reported to have said, "normal key is coming." Hear it at 13.24.
Robin
Was just coming here to say the same thing. Good to hear! I'm just hoping for a normal fob like in the S or X. I'd love to be able to use my phone to remotely turn on AC or heat, etc... but I'd prefer to have the fob paired just because it seems like it's less likely to have issues. *crossing fingers*

One change they need to make is to enable the charging plug to be removed even with Walk Up Unlock disabled. Otherwise it’s annoying to have to open the car door to unlock prior to unplugging.

With the recent update, you do not have to open the trunk or drivers door to unlock the charging plug. Touch the charger plug and it unlocks by itself.

Last edited:
Elon is reported to have said, "normal key is coming." Hear it at 13.24.
Robin

Hrmmm...

The entirety of the CR guys' complaint in this video around the keys is with the key card and the difficulties/confusion that can arise when valeting or parking in a public garage in which you need to share your key with an attendant. They don't even mention that the phone key might not work consistently. Apparently they've had good success with their phone(s). Maybe they're not even aware that it's an issue for lots of owners.

So it's not 100% clear to me what Elon's reported statement might mean. If all he's thinking about is ways to make valeting easier, that solution might not do any good for people with phone key issues. What if it's just a remote where you have to press buttons to unlock and doesn't allow for true (passive) keyless entry?

Still... fingers crossed that a regular keyless-entry fob is on its way.

Hrmmm...

The entirety of the CR guys' complaint in this video around the keys is with the key card and the difficulties/confusion that can arise when valeting or parking in a public garage in which you need to share your key with an attendant. They don't even mention that the phone key might not work consistently. Apparently they've had good success with their phone(s). Maybe they're not even aware that it's an issue for lots of owners.

So it's not 100% clear to me what Elon's reported statement might mean. If all he's thinking about is ways to make valeting easier, that solution might not do any good for people with phone key issues. What if it's just a remote where you have to press buttons to unlock and doesn't allow for true (passive) keyless entry?

Still... fingers crossed that a regular keyless-entry fob is on its way.

True, but they do have a valid point. If you don't have a deep explanation with a valet for the use of the key card (card reader placement, positioning it to start the car, etc.), then how well will they know how to use it. Shoot, they might end up leaving the card in the car. I valet park at the airport or ballgames a lot. Just because you explain it to one valet does not mean he is conveying it to the others.

Glad to hear they are aware and are now working on a reasonable solution.

EM likes to reexamine things through the prism of "first principles." Mass, velocity, time, that sort of thing. It lets him see problems from a new perspective, rip up old, traditional techniques, and apply brand new ones that promise to be better, faster, more efficient.
But, if "Does it work?" isn't a first-principles issue in manufacturing, I'm not sure what else is. And plainly, the phone-as-key did not work as intended (seamlessly, flawlessly, for everyone no matter the platform, and always). Which, when you think about it, describes a fob pretty well.
If he's looking at the phone-as-key problem through that first principles prism, EM really has no choice but to address it. That said, it's still to his credit that he's willing to step back from his (substantial) ego, admit there's a problem he (partially? entirely?) created, and apply the engineering horsepower needed to fix it once and for all.
Robin

If he's looking at the phone-as-key problem through that first principles prism, EM really has no choice but to address it. That said, it's still to his credit that he's willing to step back from his (substantial) ego, admit there's a problem he (partially? entirely?) created, and apply the engineering horsepower needed to fix it once and for all.
Robin

I still love the "phone as a key." It is the card that is a big step backwards. If owners were provided with a Key FOB and the phone option, then eventually the phone would be the entry of choice for the vast majority, in my opinion.

People that don't need the functions (summon, etc.) or don't always want their phone with them, could stick with the Key FOB. Why limit the pool of owners with a technology that could frustrate some?

The best scenario is a Key FOB that is based on 315Mhz RF. Anything is better than using a card reader and placing it on a specific location of the car.

Phone -> Great idea.

Card --> Bad idea for now and for owners, but I can see the usefulness for the utility model of car-sharing.

I still love the "phone as a key." It is the card that is a big step backwards. If owners were provided with a Key FOB and the phone option, then eventually the phone would be the entry of choice for the vast majority, in my opinion.

People that don't need the functions (summon, etc.) or don't always want their phone with them, could stick with the Key FOB. Why limit the pool of owners with a technology that could frustrate some?

The best scenario is a Key FOB that is based on 315Mhz RF. Anything is better than using a card reader and placing it on a specific location of the car.

Phone -> Great idea.

Card --> Bad idea for now and for owners, but I can see the usefulness for the utility model of car-sharing.
Do we know if existing cars have the 315mhz transmitter/receiver? If not they are going to leave out a lot of folks if they start giving fobs out.