Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck putting that in your back or front pocket.
The latest look in timeless elegance. And so much cooler than a fob.
Robin
5.jpg

The latest look in timeless elegance. And so much cooler than a fob.

That's hilarious! I need one of those harnesses for when I attend huge meetings with multiple concurrent sessions and have to continually consult a changing schedule way too large for a tiny screen. Cool people rarely talk to me anyway.

For me that particular device is perfect for reading without glasses, works great with wifi, and can cost nothing/month. It also never interrupts me, and patiently waits on the table until I am ready to deal with outside distractions. And even if I could put it in my pocket, it would just get dirty and more cracked. I suppose I am a slob, and spend most daylight hours outside in the dirt, climbing and falling on rocks.

So far phone as key works 100% after 2 days, but a few times I have to open the Tesla App for it to work.

After 1 week, it seems I have to open the app about 40% of the time for the door to unlock. Or maybe I just didn't wait long enough. If i pull the door handle and it does not unlock in 2 to 3 seconds, I pulled out the phone and open the app. It seems to unlock just before the app is fully opened. I already turned off battery optimization on the Tesla app. Doesn't seem to help any.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
fwiw, yesterday, i was trying to open the app to precool the car.. it stayed on 'waking up' for over a minute... I finally got to the car with the app/car still not connected. i was able to open/unlock the door.

point being, as long as you have the app set on the model 3, assuming you have more than 1 tesla, unlocking the car is independent of the app, and solely a bluetooth issue. if it doesn't open immediately, keep holding the handle... see what happens. after months of initially having issues, i stopped having issues once I started having some patience. I've been able to unlock the door 100% of the time in the past 3 months. maybe 2 or 3 times, I waited like 30-45 sec. but it opened.

that's my story, and i'm sticking with it.

note: i still restart my phone everyday, thinking it will clear the bluetooth permissions/stack/whatever it is. not a big deal at all, and it clears the memory in the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
fwiw, yesterday, i was trying to open the app to precool the car.. it stayed on 'waking up' for over a minute... I finally got to the car with the app/car still not connected. i was able to open/unlock the door.

Yeah, I've had that happen occasionally if there's a poor network connection for either car or phone or both. The "waking up" is when the phone app is trying to send the wake up and get status commands via the Tesla API in "the cloud", which then would turn around and relay commands to the vehicle, which would then respond to "the cloud" and then that would be relayed to the phone. If anything in there is having a bad connection it can take a while to work.

Meanwhile, if the phone-as-key is working, it's working (and if it's not, it's not - independently).

This can be annoying if you're trying to wake the car intentionally before you get to it to improve the chances of phone-as-key working on first try, or if you're trying to pop the frunk/trunk on your way to the car to save some time.

Yeah, I've had that happen occasionally if there's a poor network connection for either car or phone or both. The "waking up" is when the phone app is trying to send the wake up and get status commands via the Tesla API in "the cloud", which then would turn around and relay commands to the vehicle, which would then respond to "the cloud" and then that would be relayed to the phone. If anything in there is having a bad connection it can take a while to work.
ah.. yes... so the phone trying to connect with the car is a different waiting period from the car actually waking up.

so... when I have to hold the handle for 10 sec, the car is taking 10 sec to wake up. the bluetooth and the pushing of the door handle triggers the wake up.

when I wait 60 sec to connect the app to the car so I can precool, that is potentially 50 sec for the phone to connect, then 10 sec for the car to wake up.

• Informative
ah.. yes... so the phone trying to connect with the car is a different waiting period from the car actually waking up.

so... when I have to hold the handle for 10 sec, the car is taking 10 sec to wake up. the bluetooth and the pushing of the door handle triggers the wake up.

when I wait 60 sec to connect the app to the car so I can precool, that is potentially 50 sec for the phone to connect, then 10 sec for the car to wake up.

I suspect the intention is for BT to trigger the wake up well before you reach the vehicle, but apparently too often it doesn't, and instead it isn't until you push the door handle that something happens. When trying to charge or get into the trunk I've stood around waiting on the car to wake on it's own for 20-30s sometimes until finally hitting a rear door handle because in my experience trying the trunk release or clicking the button on the charge handle won't (at least sometimes?) wake it up. So I have to lean over to the back door and just nudge the handle enough to start the wake up process, wait the normal wake up delay, and then the charge handle or trunk will work as expected.

Has anyone been having issues with phone as key with two model 3's?

I have been having issues with the App and the Model 3 now that we have two of them. I have an early production LR (delivered in April) and just received my M3P last week. The phone as key app used to work fine when I had just the LR, but both cars now asks for a key card almost every time. Even if I walk up to the car with the app open and set to the correct car it's an issue about half the time. Once in the car (either one), I get the pop request to tap the key card to start the car. If I leave the app open on my phone and set it in the phone tray the car eventually "remembers" the me after a few minutes and I can drive. Alternatively I can use the "controls" section of the app to start the car and drive immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, any suggestions? I don't want to delete off the M3 LR as I still drive that with my wife occasionally. I have an iPhone X and I tried rebooting the car (hard reboot) and rebooting the phone. No changes in function after either. I have 2018.32.5 on both 3's

Yesterday, I was at a supercharger and left my phone in the car when I stepped out to unplug after charging completed....big mistake! The door auto-locked and I was locked out of my Model 3, door would not open/unlock even with phone inside! Stupidly I had my wallet inside the car too which had the key card.

After panicking for a couple of minutes, I was saved by my Apple Watch and Siri! Used Siri to search for Tesla phone # and was able to call from my watch and request Tesla roadside assistance to remotely unlock my car after they verified some basic info about me.

Seriously not sure why the car would auto-lock if the phone was inside the car. I know bluetooth was working as used my Apple Watch to make calls from my phone which was inside.

PSA: don't leave your phone in the car and get locked out :) Hopefully a key fob will come out soon as never had this problem with other cars in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and N5329K
Yesterday, I was at a supercharger and left my phone in the car when I stepped out to unplug after charging completed....big mistake! The door auto-locked and I was locked out of my Model 3, door would not open/unlock even with phone inside! Stupidly I had my wallet inside the car too which had the key card.

After panicking for a couple of minutes, I was saved by my Apple Watch and Siri! Used Siri to search for Tesla phone # and was able to call from my watch and request Tesla roadside assistance to remotely unlock my car after they verified some basic info about me.

Seriously not sure why the car would auto-lock if the phone was inside the car. I know bluetooth was working as used my Apple Watch to make calls from my phone which was inside.

PSA: don't leave your phone in the car and get locked out :) Hopefully a key fob will come out soon as never had this problem with other cars in the past.

Another phone-as-key FAIL! Tesla needs to release a proper fob for this vehicle ASAP.

I leave my phone in my car practically every single day when I get out of my car to go to my mailbox kiosk to get my mail. Now in my case, I have my key card in my wallet which stays on my body, but people that have their key cards in a bag or purse that is normally left in the car would not be so lucky. Remembering to and taking my phone with me for the 30 seconds it takes to get my mail (with my car only 20 feet away) would be incredibly inconvenient. Thankfully the car has never locked on me (even though I have my backup), but yes, if it did and my card was also in the car, I would not be happy!

Almost identical incident as this poster:

Phone and Keycard Locked in Car

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K