Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key never works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Made thread title more specific.

The whole "phone as a key" idea is great...BUT...the practical inconsistencies and failures are pissing me off! Every third time I go to the car and "plan" to get in and drive I'm stuck wiggling the handle, seeing the screen say "place key card on pillar", then, "place key card on console" (paraphrased) to drive. I mean what the **** is the deal? Please forgive my language, but, as I said, it's pissing me off!
I'm using a samsung S8, but the same thing happens with a Samsung S10. It is intermittent, and it isn't just related to getting into the car and driving. I also have issues with my music streaming from the phone(s) (because Tesla can't handle freakin USB playlists). This isn't a phone issue either, because my wifes iPhone does the same thing.
Of course, trying to reach Tesla to get a cogent response about this is futile (very disappointing). I love my Tesla, and I believe in the company. I don't want to trash them in any way, but this is bullshit. There MUST be some way to get these issues resolved in a timely manner.
If there was some kind of log that I could review, maybe I could come up with a solution myself, but there isn't.
The more I write here, the more pissed off I get. For a company I appreciate so much...having NO WAY to actually get information or contribute to a solution, is simply unacceptable.

For any reading this, I'm using a Samsung S8 and the Tesla app has ALL priveledges, as well as "running in the background". Nothing is denied to the Tesla app.

Wondering how everyone else feels about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
im an iphone guy, my wife has a pixel. The only time we have trouble is if we have our phones in our back pockets. Otherwise it’s been extremely reliable. Oh, also if for whatever reason I hard close my Tesla app which I rarely,do, I can have trouble. If it’s that much of an issue for you, I think a fob would be good. I know you have to pay for it, but it seems like it’s causing you heartache.

Phone as a key just doesn't seem practical to me - too many manufacturer-specific variables and settings.
Tesla seems to somehow make it work for most users - but not my thing. Believe it or not, I actually go places without my phone. On purpose.
Never had an issue with card or fob.

iPhone playlists work as expected on bluetooth - no issue at all.
Might be wrong, but I don't think Tesla puts much effort into supporting USB music - seems they prefer to support bluetooth.
Again, I suspect bluetooth is easier than trying to support all versions of USB-sourced music.

YMMV

Reactions: MikeR99 and kavyboy
I'm also frustrated by the lack of recognition range...or whatever you want to call it. I've had fob-in-pocket keyless entry on 6 previous vehicles, and every one was better than my Y. It should work with my phone in my back pocket. This car does so much other technological stuff with aplomb. Why does something like this not work optimally? I've decided to just live with it.

Reactions: MikeR99
I'm assuming by your lack of language skills and vocabulary that you are having trouble getting your car to recognize your phone. In nearly every case like this, the best advice it to call Tesla. I can't imagine that Tesla is refusing to help, though it's possible they refuse to listen to your low-class language. Surely you didn't talk like this to your teachers in high school.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10. Never any trouble using it when driving my wife's car. But my Model S is controlled by a fob. The fob has to be another thing to carry in my pocket, besides carrying the phone.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
I've noticed if my phone is in my back pocket, the unlock may not work until I physically turn my body towards the car and point the phone. Never happens if the phone is in my coat or front pant pocket. The human body being mostly water makes it a great attenuator for Bluetooth signals

...inconsistencies...
Phone as a key works for some and not for others at least when we talk about consistency.

There have been many complaints about phones for years. It takes patients to diagnose, configure, un-install, re-install, and do other tasks to try to make it work consistently.

However, as soon as Tesla started to sell the fob for $175, I bought it and it has worked for me reliably ever since. The phone is now just an expensive toy to pretend as a fob.

im an iphone guy, my wife has a pixel. The only time we have trouble is if we have our phones in our back pockets. Otherwise it’s been extremely reliable. Oh, also if for whatever reason I hard close my Tesla app which I rarely,do, I can have trouble. If it’s that much of an issue for you, I think a fob would be good. I know you have to pay for it, but it seems like it’s causing you heartache.
Yeah, I dont know if I'd say heartache...considerable irritation though, for sure.
I dont care about the cost of a fob, I just dont want to carry one.
The phone key is a great idea and I want it to work as intended. I cant imagine that Tesla intended the functionality would be an 80/20 proposition.
I'm assuming by your lack of language skills and vocabulary that you are having trouble getting your car to recognize your phone. In nearly every case like this, the best advice it to call Tesla. I can't imagine that Tesla is refusing to help, though it's possible they refuse to listen to your low-class language. Surely you didn't talk like this to your teachers in high school.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10. Never any trouble using it when driving my wife's car. But my Model S is controlled by a fob. The fob has to be another thing to carry in my pocket, besides carrying the phone.
The proper term(s) would be "linguistic and/or vocabulary skills".
Nevertheless, I meant what I said. I wasnt speaking to a high school teacher, I was speaking to anyone else here that might possibly be experiencing the same thing.

Reactions: KJD and artnalex
Phone as a key just doesn't seem practical to me - too many manufacturer-specific variables and settings.
Tesla seems to somehow make it work for most users - but not my thing. Believe it or not, I actually go places without my phone. On purpose.
Never had an issue with card or fob.

iPhone playlists work as expected on bluetooth - no issue at all.
Might be wrong, but I don't think Tesla puts much effort into supporting USB music - seems they prefer to support bluetooth.
Again, I suspect bluetooth is easier than trying to support all versions of USB-sourced music.

YMMV
I would agree with the assessment, but if that were the case, multiple music formats would not be supported.
Playlists are a simple matter, essentially. Much less of an issue than supporting multiple music formats.

The whole "phone as a key" idea is great...BUT...the practical inconsistencies and failures are pissing me off! Every third time I go to the car and "plan" to get in and drive I'm stuck wiggling the handle, seeing the screen say "place key card on pillar", then, "place key card on console" (paraphrased) to drive. I mean what the **** is the deal? Please forgive my language, but, as I said, it's pissing me off!
I'm using a samsung S8, but the same thing happens with a Samsung S10. It is intermittent, and it isn't just related to getting into the car and driving. I also have issues with my music streaming from the phone(s) (because Tesla can't handle freakin USB playlists). This isn't a phone issue either, because my wifes iPhone does the same thing.
Of course, trying to reach Tesla to get a cogent response about this is futile (very disappointing). I love my Tesla, and I believe in the company. I don't want to trash them in any way, but this is bullshit. There MUST be some way to get these issues resolved in a timely manner.
If there was some kind of log that I could review, maybe I could come up with a solution myself, but there isn't.
The more I write here, the more pissed off I get. For a company I appreciate so much...having NO WAY to actually get information or contribute to a solution, is simply unacceptable.

For any reading this, I'm using a Samsung S8 and the Tesla app has ALL priveledges, as well as "running in the background". Nothing is denied to the Tesla app.

Wondering how everyone else feels about this.
I am using a Samsung s7 and it is perfect, no problem at all