Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key never works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the fob. We have them for both of our Y’s. Works every time.

Bonus fob feature: It works exactly like the key card in the event the fob battery dies or otherwise breaks (like if your waterproof pouch leaks during an ocean swim and water logs the fob. You can still unlock the car and drive away. Ask me how I know haha!!).

Reactions: MikeR99
I am using a Samsung s7 and it is perfect, no problem at all
Do you listen to music on your phone via bluetooth? Since 36.5.5, Every time I get out of the car, say to go into the store or something, then come back, my bluetooth music cuts in and out until I toggle bluetooth on the phone. I think this is a different issue than the phone key, but its all bluetooth related.
This (phone key fail) just happened again to me and I'm pulling android logs now. Maybe I'll find an answer.

I used to have this frustration until I realized the phone has to be within a few inches from the door. I usually put my phone in my back pocket and that’s too far. So I have to swing my butt closer and problem solved.

I remember my wife never had this problem but that’s because she carries her phone in her purse which is on her hand and closer to the car than my back pocket.

No problems with my iPhone 13 pro. Works every time If you leave the app running in background. Of course I carry one key card in my wallet, and one in my small credit card minimal wallet….and yes I have the Ring that works perfect. Two key fobs at home for a guest or emergency. No problem’s 😜
Same here. iPhone 13 pro and car opens like clockwork, unless my app is closed. I carry a key card in my Ridge wallet in case of emergency.

I’m with the fob category. Just couldn’t get my phone to function correctly all the time. If you don’t want to carry a fob then learn to deal with connectivity issues. It’s one or the other at the moment. From my experience Tesla isn’t the problem. Generally it is the phone software as my old iPhone worked great. iPhone 12 gives me trouble.

Do you have sentry mode on? If not, consider keeping it on all the time. It uses your battery, but is a lookout for your car. Plus it helps keep your car from going into deep sleep. Not sure, but sounds like that could fix your problem.
I have it on but have it set to "ignore home". It happens everywhere though, so I'm thinking that won't help. Might try it anyway.