Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key - not great after 48.12.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flawless operation here with the iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone XR.

I have not had a single issue or delay with the phone as a key since I entered iOS settings and (1) enabled background refresh and (2) set location services to “always” for the Tesla app. Making those changes eliminated occasional 1-2s delays when unlocking the car.

Last edited:
I am with you. Was flawless for months, now it takes a few seconds every time, and sometimes takes up to 4 or 5 door handle pulls and 10+ seconds

Same here. Was working great on my iPhone 8 and then very recently it has gotten horrible. Not sure if it is related to a Tesla car update or a Tesla app update or an Apple update.

Maybe I just need to reboot my phone or my car. I have not dug into it much yet.

I'm on Android (Google Pixel 2) and I never had issues before... if my phone is asleep, I hit a button to wake it as I approach the car, and there was never a delay...

Until 48.12.1. Now I've twice had the car fail to recognize my phone as a key. Second time, I did some testing - rebooted the car, cycled Bluetooth on my phone, neither helped. Rebooting the phone fixed it. (Both times.)

Don't know if it matters, but I sync the phone with 2 cars and 2 sets of headphones regularly...