Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key with refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if walking to car you no longer have FOB and if you want to pop the falcon doors or the reach hatch you have to take out your phone, find the app, etc. instead of just using a button on the FOB... what a PITA??
you know that model 3 also has a fob, right? What makes you think S/X won't have a fob (potentially even included but if not - then available for purchase)

have you ever used a 3 or Y? I don’t take my phone to do this. It’s 100x better than lugging around a fob like it’s 2010.

There's things that the fob does that cannot be duplicated without it. The fob allows you to open doors, trunk, frunk, release the charger, etc while approaching by a couple of quick clicks. Sometimes that's enough of an advantage to make a difference. Otherwise you have to resort to using the app or manually opening it (depending upon settings). Nonetheless, enabling phone connectivity will be a big plus from my perspective.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they'll include a "kicker" switch for the trunk for when you've got your hands full?

I guess a lot of you have done away with keys altogether. Those of us Luddites who still carry keys might as well as have a FOB on the keyring. I imagine having the phone fail to open (read the forums) and then have to find my key in my wallet and hold it up to the door like Kresken will really irritate me. FOB is it!

I guess a lot of you have done away with keys altogether. Those of us Luddites who still carry keys might as well as have a FOB on the keyring. I imagine having the phone fail to open (read the forums) and then have to find my key in my wallet and hold it up to the door like Kresken will really irritate me. FOB is it!

Agree. The bluetooth phone key on my Model3 only works about 80% of the time. Often it will unlock and allow entry, but not drive. PIA to dig out the card (which is in my phone case). i ended up buying the fob for the model 3, way better. It Always works.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210
Agree. The bluetooth phone key on my Model3 only works about 80% of the time. Often it will unlock and allow entry, but not drive. PIA to dig out the card (which is in my phone case). i ended up buying the fob for the model 3, way better. It Always works.
Yep. That is one reason we got a fob for our model 3. Regardless of the mechanism, it must unlock the door and activate the car very close to 100% of the time.

Don’t know where I saw it, but pretty certain I saw that the S/X will come with the fob as well. A fob is already available for the 3/Y, so no reason they wouldn’t have one for the S/X. If you don’t like the phone key, don’t use it. Unless it works nearly 100% of the time, I’ll likely use the fob. But, there have been times that I’ve walked out of my house and forgot the key, but had my phone with me. Would have been nice if on those occasions, the phone just opened the car, instead of having to open the app to unlock the door.