Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key without service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the phone has to have BT on, the APP enabled by the key card and running, if only in the background. Just have not seen anywhere about if the phone has to have internet service to work as the key? Say you are deep in the mountains with no data service, will the phone still unlock and drive the car?

I understand that the phone has to have BT on, the APP enabled by the key card and running, if only in the background. Just have not seen anywhere about if the phone has to have internet service to work as the key? Say you are deep in the mountains with no data service, will the phone still unlock and drive the car?

Yes, it uses Bluetooth, not the internet. It actually doesn't even need to be a phone.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and DR61

That is the reason for the NFC card!!!

It must at least do both. I can unlock my car even though I've never paired my phone with the car.

not necessarily. if you're just using it to get in and drive, you're fine once you load the app on the phone. (turn on wifi at home for app updates though)

It's a possibility that Tesla codes the app to have most of its functionality with the car independent of an internet connection.

Example: a smartwatch connects to your phone via BLE, and the phone and watch can interact back and forth even if neither has a connection to the outside world.

not necessarily. if you're just using it to get in and drive, you're fine once you load the app on the phone. (turn on wifi at home for app updates though)

It's a possibility that Tesla codes the app to have most of its functionality with the car independent of an internet connection.

Example: a smartwatch connects to your phone via BLE, and the phone and watch can interact back and forth even if neither has a connection to the outside world.

A phone app is not going to be able to communicate with a car over Bluetooth when the phone has never been paired with the car.

I think there are two aspects to this.

1. The Tesla App can lock, unlock, control the climate stuff, etc. from anywhere on the planet, so long as both the car has a cellular connection and the phone is on the Internet (wifi or cell). I don't think the phone needs to be paired with the car to do this; the app just needs your account and password.

2. The phone can unlock the car with its Bluetooth signal, provided it's been properly set up with the app and paired with the car. The Keycard and Internet are needed (once) for this setup & pairing to take place. Once done, neither the car nor phone need an internet connection for the Bluetooth unlock to work. Think deep underground parking garage.

At least, that's what I have come to believe...

I think there are two aspects to this.

1. The Tesla App can lock, unlock, control the climate stuff, etc. from anywhere on the planet, so long as both the car has a cellular connection and the phone is on the Internet (wifi or cell). I don't think the phone needs to be paired with the car to do this; the app just needs your account and password.

2. The phone can unlock the car with its Bluetooth signal, provided it's been properly set up with the app and paired with the car. The Keycard and Internet are needed (once) for this setup & pairing to take place. Once done, neither the car nor phone need an internet connection for the Bluetooth unlock to work. Think deep underground parking garage.

At least, that's what I have come to believe...
This is exactly correct. Once paired, your phone does not need an internet connected to act as a key fob.

I usually don't carry a smartphone with me. I consider it an intrusion on my retired life and a too bulky, unnecessary accessory for me. Without exaggeration, 80% of the calls are telemarketing anyway. Therefore, I will wear a smartwatch that is bluetooth enabled with the Tesla app.
If the Tesla app has a watch version, which it doesn’t now. You may be able to use Remote S, which works well on the Apple Watch, and has been tested with the Model 3 (and with the new watch, using LTE (so it doesn’t need a phone)).

Reactions: jbcarioca
And how do you pair 2 Bluetooth devices?

Hint: not the internet.

You pair by having physical access to both devices (ability to trigger scanning and ability to read/ enter PIN).

Not sure on the use case we are talking about:

You should be able to pair in an area without internet (assuming you already downloaded the app) if you can unlock the car via another device.

If you have a locked car, no internet/ cell coverage, and no entry card, there is no way to authenticate and no way to pair. (Unless the PINs are time/ VIN based and the mothership can assist on a land line)

You pair by having physical access to both devices (ability to trigger scanning and ability to read/ enter PIN).

Not sure on the use case we are talking about:

You should be able to pair in an area without internet (assuming you already downloaded the app) if you can unlock the car via another device.

If you have a locked car, no internet/ cell coverage, and no entry card, there is no way to authenticate and no way to pair. (Unless the PINs are time/ VIN based and the mothership can assist on a land line)

yes, the pairing process is covered in the manual, and I am sure that as part of the delivery process, Tesla will ask that you have your phone pre-loaded with the app before showing up.

My point was that they'll support Internet as well for people who don't have a paired phone and lost the key. Just like the Model S/X does today. You don't need bluetooth to be able to unlock the car.

Right, just like GM and Onstar. You can unlock an equipped vehicle remotely in the case of someone losing a key. (not sure how you'd drive away though).

But mostly, a remote internet connection would be used for checking your charging status and setting/checking HVAC.