Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key without service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is no cell service though you won't be able to do anything else.

I think you are mistaken. You can do everything else via the touchscreen once you've used the phone to get in your car.
Of course, and I said that in the sentence in front of the one you selectively clipped and quoted. I was talking specifically about the app.

For everything else, opening the trunk, frunk, prewarming or cooling, checking charge status, etc. you use the app which will use the internet to connect to a central server to contact the car. So, as long as your paired phone is charged and has Bluetooth turned on you should be able to get in and drive away. If there is no cell service though you won't be able to do anything else.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Of course, and I said that in the sentence in front of the one you selectively clipped and quoted. I was talking specifically about the app.
Here is the entire quote
For everything else, opening the trunk, frunk, prewarming or cooling, checking charge status, etc. you use the app which will use the internet to connect to a central server to contact the car. So, as long as your paired phone is charged and has Bluetooth turned on you should be able to get in and drive away. If there is no cell service though you won't be able to do anything else.
I see now.. I read it as 'you won't be able to do anything else' was definitive.

Maybe my point is then.. why would it matter if your phone can't do the things you say it can't do since you can do them all from the touch screen? People are freaked out enough about losing functionality without cell service.

Reactions: landis
It doesn't matter at all, at least not to me. I was only telling people that I thought that the phone didn't have to be connected to be used to unlock the doors or let you start the car.

Which was my original question. A little surprised at all the info, for what I was thinking was such a straight forward question.

For I don't have cell service, and would still like to use my phone as a key. Good to know that it is likely possible. :)

Thanks for all the replies.