Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Bluetooth: "Connected to Tesla Model S"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if folks can help me figure out a strange behavior that my Tesla is causing on my smartphone... my phone has a low-power OLED always-on lock screen that I've set to display the time, date and a few other useful items when the phone is locked and idle. Over the course of last night however, I noticed my lock screen display was replaced with a plain single line showing the Bluetooth icon followed by "Connected to Tesla Model S" and then my Tesla's nickname.

This is a very nonfunctional lock screen of course, but more worrisome is whether the phone's Bluetooth is causing the car (which the garage is right below my bedroom) to have more phantom drain by not going to sleep. I do have Teslafi logs to monitor the car, although over the years it's a bit of black art to interpret what sometimes keeps the car awake - so not sure, though it looked like the car slept fine at least this past night while this message was displaying.

I've had the Tesla app installed on my LG smartphone for the last few years. I have Summon enabled but never use it. I have the phone connected via Bluetooth to my Model S to show my Google calendar in the car's calendar app. I feel like I've seen this Bluetooth message displayed transiently at times when I turn off my phone, but it did not persist and replace my lockscreen. Also when I connect to other Bluetooth devices like headsets, I don't see any such message- so it's someting specifically caused by the Tesla.

The weirdest thing though, is I tried turning off Bluetooth completely on my phone, but even when it was definitely not connected to the car's Bluetooth, this "Connected to" lockscreen message persisted. Similarly if I turned off the Calendar sync function. Finally, I rebooted the phone (Bluetooth still off), and was able to get my normal lockscreen back.

Anyone seen this behavior before, and whether it is a setting or a glitch? And regardless, what is the intended purpose of this useless message at all?