Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone/bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry of this has been addressed in other topics - I could not find in search..

My Model S has 14,000 miles and works like a dream - however a couple weeks ago - my iPhone/Car interface has been acting up... The main issue is - I sound muffled and far away to the person on the other end of the line when using hand free. Almost if something is blocking my microphone (which I have no idea where it is located in the car).. Its so bad, I can't use the car's handsfree system - I have to hold phone to my ear and use (which is illegal here in Cali)... Also - having some connectivity issues (connects most of the time - but not all the time).

I don't think it is my iPhone with the issue - my wife drove the car yesterday and she sounded terrible, muffled, far away when she called me from the car with her phone..

The speakers sound great - so it isn't a speaker thing either.

Any ideas what this could be? of if there are some fixes I should try? Could I "reset" the system and have it reboot and see if that does anything?

thanks in advance,

Eric

Visit your SC and have them replace your microphones ... I had a similar issue. They replaced the MCU (17" screen) with no luck. As soon as the mics got replaced, 80% + improvement and can be done in no time.

I rarely use Bluetooth, but was having trouble with the voice recognition (Slacker, Maps etc.) and a microphone replacement made a big difference for me. Sounds like the way to go.

When I first got my car I couldn't use the hands free phone at all. A mic replacement fixed the problem. I think there is a separate mic for the voice recognition though.

There are two behind the grille in the head-liner above the mirror (both of mine were replaced). I had assumed they were multi-purpose and used two so it could pick up both the driver and the passenger speaking, but perhaps one is for Bluetooth and the other is for Voice Recognition. In any event, both of mine were replaced and voice recognition is much better. I rarely use Bluetooth, but have not had any complaints about sound quality when I do.