Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Call Echo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just experienced this echo yesterday while my wife was in the model 3. She has an iphone x and I have an iphone 7. The echo delay was so back that it made the conversation impossible to have. When she switched to her airpods, everything was fine.

I feel like i've noticed this issue with about 20% of our calls but haven't tried much to troubleshoot it. Hanging up and calling again doesn't help. I'll have her mute until or use her airpods in the meantime.

Same here, iPhone 6 on 11.4 with 2018.21.9. Super frustrating given I take a lot of calls on the road. Worth contacting Tesla or just wait it out?

I think as many people as possible should contact Tesla. Send it online to the executive team and tweet Elon. With most states requiring hands free devices for the driver this should be a high priority to fix. Using headphones is not a good solution for me and neither is holding the phone or putting it on speaker. I tried muting yesterday, and while it works, it is not ideal and breaks conversations up.

I’ve had the same issue...so frustrating. The echo only goes away when I disconnect my Iphone from the car; so it’s clearly coming from the car’s speakers/microphone configuration.
I called my local service center (West Palm Beach) today and was told that this known issue will be fixed in the upcoming 2018.26 software update...We will see...

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
Having the same problem with my wife's Model3. She has a I Phone 8 and I have a I Phone 6. She has a apple watch and I do not. Happens with either person in the car about 70% of the time. Removing the call from the vehicle fixes problem, Definitely a car problem. Hopefully fixed soon. It makes it almost impossible to have a conversation.

I've been having the same issue in my Model 3 with Android (OnePlus 3T). Thank you so much for posting that workaround, never thought to just mute on my side while they were talking!

Wait... We're seriously muting and unmuting as each other speaks???
This is a $60,000 car, not a ham radio.
I'm getting a little tired of all of my audio issues.
Echo, weird hum, speaker not porting through car audio half the time, podcasts not saving where you left off and often not letting me fast forward.
Hoping an update fixes some of these issues.
I still love driving the car, but each update fixes one audio problem and adds two.

I often have the echo problem on my Model 3 as well. I'll wait for the 24.1 software update that's rolling out right now. If the problem continues after that, I'll have Tesla take a look.

It doesn't happen on every call. It seems to happen more often when I'm already on a call as I approach the car. The call automatically transfers to bluetooth, and immediately the person I'm talking to complains about the echo suddenly starting (sometimes, before I even get in the car). I don't own a smartwatch of any type, and I don't have any bluetooth devices other than the car itself.

Took delivery in late May
Currently on 2018.21.9 (didn't notice the problem while on 2018.18.13)

They did something different with this Bluetooth update as I never heard notification sounds of my phone play over the car speaker nor my custom ringtone. Unfortunately, I've had issues with echoing and even disconnect with this update. On top of that, contacts still don't work so that has to be switched off the car will constantly try to connect then disconnect through Bluetooth.