Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Call Echo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem.
iPhone to iPhone conversation.
Started a few days ago, after an upgrade.

I'm not going to fiddle with phone settings. This is a Tesla issue.

I understand and felt the same way. I just happen to know this is what Tesla recommends (actually several aftermarket bluetooth devices have this issue with noise cancellation, so I would argue it is an iPhone issue as well as a Tesla one), and it worked in my case. Good luck whatever you do.

Reactions: CWFLY
OK, that’s a really good point.
But I’m not letting the programmers off that easy. Tesla made a significant change that requires 1000’s of owners to modify a setting on their iPhone, but said nothing about it in the Update Release Notes.

Solution: disconnect iPhone from car by clicking “forget this device.” Do a reboot of the center console by pressing and holding both thumb wheels on steering wheel until center screen turns black, then reconnect your phone to the Bluetooth.

I literally just walked out of the Tesla Service centre for this issue with my Model 3. Turns out it was my Apple Watch! I did a few tests with them right there, turning it on airplay mode and turning it completely off. Airplane mode didn't do anything, but turning it off got rid of the echo right away. I have the Apple Watch 2 so it only has Bluetooth and WiFi. I think it's the Bluetooth interfering with it. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

I literally just walked out of the Tesla Service centre for this issue with my Model 3. Turns out it was my Apple Watch! I did a few tests with them right there, turning it on airplay mode and turning it completely off. Airplane mode didn't do anything, but turning it off got rid of the echo right away. I have the Apple Watch 2 so it only has Bluetooth and WiFi. I think it's the Bluetooth interfering with it. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

I don't think it's apple watch. My wife was driving yesterday and called me from the car and I was hearing my own echo. She has an iPhone X and was not wearing her apple watch. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and was wearing an apple watch.

I have been dealing with this same problem on my 2018 Model X for the past couple of weeks. I hear the caller fine but on the other end they complain there is an echo and they can hear their own voice. It happens with every single caller no matter if they are on a land line or a cell. I just picked my car up after a week of being in Tesla Service for this problem and the echo is still there. I even went out and upgraded my iPhone form a 7 to a X thinking that might help. No dice. We also just bought a model 3 and it is having the same problem. I was told Tesla engineers are aware and they are working on it....I feel like this happened after a firmware update. Anyway, to date they have not been able to resolve the issue and I am taking on headphones when driving :(. Not too happy since I purchased both Tesla's this year.

Try a reboot (both scroll wheels). After an incident where the X was unable to hear the caller but they could hear the the conversation just fine, I had to do a reboot. It also fixed the echo for the next few calls...odd situation. If I know I need to be on a call, I do a reboot first.

I don’t have my car yet but i have this issue with my husbands honda. I usually can hear myself when his phone is connnected to the apple car play and stored near the radio. When he moves it away from the radio or unplugs it (so it is bluetoothed instead of hard wired) it seems to remove the echo...

It seems that many people across several phone brands and all Tesla models are having issues. Some are being temporarily resolved by messing with various settings in phone or car. I believe this is a car issue not a phone issue. Tesla needs to find a solution through software or provide information on how to connect our phones for optimal performance.

The voice clarity on our end is great compared to other cars and I wish I wouldn't have to make excuses to people on the other end of my calls saying it must be their phone and not my brand new, expensive, car of the future.

Reactions: Mobsidian
I also having this issue. Other callers are complaining they can hear their own echo during the phone calls. I can hear them fine but they hear themselves echoing. Taking it off BT and using the iPhone speaker works fine.

iPhone 6S

I'm almost always on the car side of phone calls with my Pixel 1 and haven't had anyone tell me about echoing. For the first time in a while, I called my wife while her iPhone 8 was connected to the car and heard every word I said echoed back to me. 21.9.

I have a new Model 3 with the firmware 2018.21.9 and experiencing the echo problem as well. It happens about 50% of the time as well. Some callers would say the echo was so bad they couldn't have a conversation while others say it was crystal clear. During one conversation, the person was hearing the echo and then the echo stopped suddenly. I thought I narrowed the problem to the echo occurring only when the phone is docked as calls seemed to be fine when phone was in the cup holder or seat, but other callers later heard an echo when the phone was not docked. My only workaround is to put the call on mute when I am not speaking. It is particularly annoying as I make a lot of work calls while on the road. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus.