Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone call echo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again for me it’s intermittent. I can have a call with my wife (who also has an iPhone) and she hears me loud and clear. Then 15 minutes later I might have a call with a co-worker (another iphone) who complains it’s very difficult to hear me. Sometimes my wife says it’s fine, sometimes not. Sometimes co-workers say it’s fine, sometimes not. I’ve yet to discover a pattern or link to any particular phone or person.

ive only had 2 calls on my model 3 thus far. ive a galaxy note 10+ and both callers were iphone users. one caller always hears an echo, the other caller did not hear any echo. im going to ask them both what carrier they are on as this can also play a factor.

Consistently get complaints about echo on the other end. Not only iPhone... any phone really. Don't have this issue in the other two cars i drive, which leads me to believe its a Tesla problem. Hoping it gets resolved with an update at some point. For now if i really need to talk, i switch to air pods for the conversation.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Consistently get complaints about echo on the other end. Not only iPhone... any phone really. Don't have this issue in the other two cars i drive, which leads me to believe its a Tesla problem. Hoping it gets resolved with an update at some point. For now if i really need to talk, i switch to air pods for the conversation.
As I said above, it’s def not a Tesla issue. We get this when using speaker phone to speaker phone - no car involved.

As I said above, it’s def not a Tesla issue....
I disagree. Your speaker phone example does not mean it is definitely not a Telsa issue. It simple describes an audio feedback loop which is easy enough to create.

A colleague and I both have Model 3s. He often has callers reporting echo when on calls to his Telsa, but not when he uses the same iPhone in other cars. OTOH I have never had a single report of this when people are on calls to my S9 in my Tesla. Yesterday I called from my Telsa to his Telsa when we were both driving to work and my end got the echo.
This suggest to me the issue is related to his car/phone/cellnetwork configuration. We are both on the same cell phone provider although here in Australia. This provider roams from 4G to 3G technology as one moves about. A common observation is the issue effects a particular car and is intermittent. I thought of a couple of possibilities:
1) Cell tower technology changing as the car moves about. (intermittent)
2) Individuals in car settings for speaker fader/balance. Set it back to default to see if it stops the feedback.
3) Cars mic or mic software is faulty somehow.
Anyway I reckon it is Telsa related.

Reactions: swb2734
Funny, I am having the same problem. My friend was using an IPhone 10, now with a new IPhone 11.

I am using my IPhone 10 XS Max in the model 3, he always has the echo problem on his side. Whether from his work or his home. This was never an issue so I am guessing some software update issue.

He’s was on Sprint and now T-Moblie, I’m using AT&T.

So what gives???

Tomorrow I’m going to bypass the Cars Bluetooth system and talk directly into the phone. Will check back then.

Fred

Reactions: Flatbat
So it’s the Model 3 for sure, called my friend from the car using the cars Bluetooth phone system, he had the echos on his side. I disconnected the call and also removed the phone from the cars Bluetooth and made the call again just using the phone itself, no echos on his side, no issues. I wonder is Tesla is aware of this problem.

Fred

Another vote echoing this experience on the echo issue. 2020 Model 3 LR AWD, on latest software update 2020.11.1, callers report that they hear an echo on their end. Using a Pixel 3 on my end.

Callers never mentioned an echo a month ago, so it could be the latest vehicle software update.

I get this complaint when calling both my parents' landlines from my Tesla. When I switch to using my AirPods the problem goes away. No idea why, but I don't believe it was happening when I first received the car in March. I hope they get it fixed, otherwise essentially the phone features is broken for me.