Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone charging cable melted into my MAXpider floor mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
The real UN
My phone charging cable often hangs loose in the car and was surprised to find this today morning, it had melted into the MAXpider floormat:

Just a heads-up. Probably same mat material is used in other mats too. My guess is it is partly conductive and acts as a resistor and heats up to melting point. You can see the 45-degere angle at which the connector had sunk into the mat, theoretically it could have ended up in a fire.

Attachments

• 1669104085802.png
    1669104085802.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 150
My phone charging cable often hangs loose in the car and was surprised to find this today morning, it had melted into the MAXpider floormat:

Just a heads-up. Probably same mat material is used in other mats too. My guess is it is partly conductive and acts as a resistor and heats up to melting point. You can see the 45-degere angle at which the connector had sunk into the mat, theoretically it could have ended up in a fire.
The contacts on the charging cable (was it USB-C?) are protected from being shorted on the outside, so there is no way the MAXpider mat shorted them out. Most likely the plug was stepped on and damaged, causing a short and melting the plug. That or perhaps the cable or plug was defective. "Goobay" is not exactly a brand name that sound like a quality one. Either way, there's like 0% chance that the floor mat had anything to do with your charging cable melting.