Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone connected but not auto-unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the app, my Pixel 3 Android phone connects to the car via Bluetooth ( in the Security section it shows as Connected in the app). However, the car doesn't unlock when I walk up to it with the app open. I've tried waiting for a minute or so with the app open and it never unlocks. I have to eventually press the unlock button to get in.

I reset my phone's Bluetooth settings.I've deleted the phone key in the car and that didn't help. I then reinstalled the app and that didn't help either. Not that it matters in this scenario since the app is open in the foreground and connected to the car, but the app has access to location permissions and is not battery optimized.

The frustrating part is my wife's Pixel 6 Android phone works just fine. Same version of Android on both. She walks right up and it unlocks. She doesn't even need to have the app open in the foreground.

Is this a car problem or phone problem? And any suggestions on how to get it to unlock without pressing the unlock button?

Did you set up your phone as a phone key? Connecting to the car via Bluetooth for calls and media playback is unrelated to the phone key and you can do one without the other. You set up the phone key using the app or Controls > Locks in the car. You need a keycard to do this.

If it works with your wife's phone, it is likely NOT a car problem.

I would look further into the Bluetooth version/chipset/driver on the phone. Auto-unlock uses Bluetooth, while the unlock button on the app uses the Internet. it is likely that the Bluetooth signal from your phone is not strong enough to wake up the car. You can test this by waking up the car via the app first (turn on Climate or open windows), and then walk up to the car. If it unlocks, it is the wakeup function that is not triggered by Bluetooth.

Also try unpairing and re-pairing your phone and the car. Turn off the phone Bluetooth, delete the phone as a key from the car display, turn on the phone Bluetooth, and attempt to re-pair it as a key.

My wife had to call me yesterday for the first time ever where she could not get in either but I was able to open it for her remotely? There seems to be some consistency. I get my MSP tomorrow at noon!!!! Sorry just cant wait to have a MYP and a MSP in the garage.

I've noticed that in Android 12 I can't allow the Tesla app to always have location access. All I can select are "while using the app."

Verifying the location access is set to "always allow" was a suggestion from a Tesla tech.

I'm having this same problem with one of my Tesla Model Y. Interestingly, the other Model Y works fine (for now...).