Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone connected but not unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the app, my Pixel 3 Android phone connects to the car via Bluetooth ( in the Security section it shows as Connected in the app). However, the car doesn't unlock when I walk up to it with the app open. I've tried waiting for a minute or so with the app open and it never unlocks. I have to eventually press the unlock button to get in.

I reset my phone's Bluetooth settings.I've deleted the phone key in the car and that didn't help. I then reinstalled the app and that didn't help either. Not that it matters in this scenario since the app is open and connected to the car, but the app has access to location permissions.

The frustrating part is my wife's Pixel 6 Android phone works just fine. Same version of Android on both. She walks right up and it unlocks. She doesn't even need to have the app open in the foreground.

Is this a car problem or phone problem? And any suggestions on how to get it to unlock on walk up?

Typically it's a phone problem. First, the unlock doesn't go through the media bluetooth connection, it uses bluetooth LE which is different. Close proximity is critical. Is your phone in your back pocket? Your body could block the signal.
Second, the Tesla app absolutely must be running in the background on your phone because it's the Tesla app that authenticates, not the phone alone. If you kill it, unlock won't work. Android always tries to put apps to sleep to save battery. In your case it's an older phone, it could put the app to sleep if it's running out of RAM, depending on the other apps you run on it. The app must not be suspended. Yes, I believe it also needs location access but you covered that.

Just got my vehicle today and my Pixel 6 pro is not working for auto present. It auto locks after I walk away and I can push the handle and it will present but it won't present when I walk up to the car. Let me know if you got anywhere with this.

Make sure Android Battery Optimization is disabled for he Tesla app.

1. Go to your smartphone's Settings
  2. Select "Apps & notifications"
  3. Select "Advanced"
  4. Select "Special app access"
  5. Select "Battery optimization"
Thank you. I had set the battery optimization for the app and it wasn't working. I then found some old threads about doing the same for other apps on the phone. It randomly started working today. So not sure what it was.