Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Connecting to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All:

First of all, I don't have a bluetooth problem. My phone automatically connects when my phone is near or inside my car. What I don't understand is why it does not start playing automatically. If I have my music or podcast app minimized on my phone, it will recognize this on Tesla audio, but in the past it would just start playing where I left off. Now, I have to select play on my phone or in my car. I have tried all the standard fixes, but now I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Phone: iPhone 7 on ios 10.1
Model S on 8.0

Gary

Odd. I have the opposite problem. If I pause my podcast, the next time I open my door it starts playing it. Kind of a problem when the podcast is dealing with adult subjects and you're loading your kids in the car.

Seems like a simple solution would be some sort of choice in driver preferences like "autoplay phone audio." Easy to make both camps happy, you'd think.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Hi Gary,
I believe this is an issue with IOS 10. A lot of car manufacturers are currently having difficulty with compatibility with the new iphones. Hopefully Apple will release another update soon clearing up this problem.

You are correct, however I had already updated to ios 10.1 which was supposed to fix the problem, but for me it did not. I am glad to report that the recent Tesla update 2.42.40 fixed my issue. When I open my door, it either plays a song from my music app unless I have a podcast minimized on my phone then it resumes playing of the podcast.

Odd. I have the opposite problem. If I pause my podcast, the next time I open my door it starts playing it. Kind of a problem when the podcast is dealing with adult subjects and you're loading your kids in the car.

I believe RobW2428 suggestion below is the perfect fix for that.

Seems like a simple solution would be some sort of choice in driver preferences like "autoplay phone audio." Easy to make both camps happy, you'd think.

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I have a variety of problems in this realm:

1. I left the car listening to a podcast, but when I get back in it plays random music, despite me not having listened to any music in the interim.

2. Fairly often my podcast will be playing silently on the phone, as if it's playing through the Bluetooth, but nothing is coming out of the speakers. The car player will show a play and pause button which seemingly work but have no effect on the podcast. That's really frustrating. The quickest fix is to make a call and hang up. Then the connection is restored.

3. I get back in the car and I have to restart the podcast using the phone because it thinks nothing is playing.

All of these problems have persisted through multiple iPhones, multiples iOSes, and now two Model S cars. It makes being a podcast fan and following the law that says never tough your phone while driving pretty impossible.

I have a variety of problems in this realm:

1. I left the car listening to a podcast, but when I get back in it plays random music, despite me not having listened to any music in the interim.

2. Fairly often my podcast will be playing silently on the phone, as if it's playing through the Bluetooth, but nothing is coming out of the speakers. The car player will show a play and pause button which seemingly work but have no effect on the podcast. That's really frustrating. The quickest fix is to make a call and hang up. Then the connection is restored.

3. I get back in the car and I have to restart the podcast using the phone because it thinks nothing is playing.

All of these problems have persisted through multiple iPhones, multiples iOSes, and now two Model S cars. It makes being a podcast fan and following the law that says never tough your phone while driving pretty impossible.

The only time I have experienced random music playing when I get into the car is when my iphone's music app is minimized. Otherwise, if I have my podcast app minimized, it will pick up the podcast where I left off.

I have never experienced the silence while playing something through bluetooth in my car, but I have a bluetooth speaker in my office where that has happened randomly. No recent ios updates and this issue has just started in the past week.

I use the stock iPhone player. Seems most practical since it comes up when the phone is off, so I can still interact with it without fully waking the phone.
My Tesla hasn't been delivered yet, so I have no idea how this will work, but I've used Overcast for podcasts for years. It also integrates into the native iPhone lock screen so you can use the basic controls without unlocking the phone. The developer has been on top of iOS updates for years... he's a one-man team, but Apple has never seem terribly committed to polishing their stock podcast app. Might be worth trying? My S60 should be delivered next month, so I can report back then.

My Tesla hasn't been delivered yet, so I have no idea how this will work, but I've used Overcast for podcasts for years. It also integrates into the native iPhone lock screen so you can use the basic controls without unlocking the phone. The developer has been on top of iOS updates for years... he's a one-man team, but Apple has never seem terribly committed to polishing their stock podcast app. Might be worth trying? My S60 should be delivered next month, so I can report back then.

Thanks for the tip on Overcast. I just downloaded it and the podcasts I listen to. One feature I especially like is "Voice Boost". It's a much richer sound and I just tested in my Model S. I started a podcast while in my house, stopped and minimized the Overcast App. As soon as I entered my car, it picked up where I left off. I will test it all next week and compare.

Thanks for the tip on Overcast. I just downloaded it and the podcasts I listen to. One feature I especially like is "Voice Boost". It's a much richer sound and I just tested in my Model S. I started a podcast while in my house, stopped and minimized the Overcast App. As soon as I entered my car, it picked up where I left off. I will test it all next week and compare.
Glad to hear it! It has some other little features I like, too, like being able to play certain podcasts at different speeds (I like most at 1.5x, but not ones that are about music, since it obviously messes up the music) and a little feature that cuts out dead air time. The developer is relentless about improving it, too.

Reactions: FloridaGary
I've experienced a new problem in the last couple of days. For some reason the car says I'm in a call when I'm not. I try to select exit, but it does not accept that. The only option I've found to close the phone view in the instrument panel is to turn off blue-tooth on the phone. As soon as I do that the original trip display reappears. I never considered it was on the apple side. I updated to iOS 10 about 2 weeks ago, so that would be a delayed response if from iOS.

I've experienced a new problem in the last couple of days. For some reason the car says I'm in a call when I'm not. I try to select exit, but it does not accept that. The only option I've found to close the phone view in the instrument panel is to turn off blue-tooth on the phone. As soon as I do that the original trip display reappears. I never considered it was on the apple side. I updated to iOS 10 about 2 weeks ago, so that would be a delayed response if from iOS.

Have you tried a reboot of your car? If you received a recent Telsa software update, it may be causing this. Depress your brake pedal and and also depress both scroll wheels on your steering wheel to reboot car. See if that resolves your issue.

Marco Arment, the developer of Overcast, drives a Tesla himself ;)

Reactions: mpinzur
I use Overcast as well. I don't think it has to do with the app used but just the way the Tesla deals with streams.