Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone connection to new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and i took delivery recently on Tesla Model 3. My wife has the Tesla app on her phone. The phone has Bluetooth turned on. When my wife is near the car with Tesla app showing on the phone. The phone does not show the car. I have tried to have the car recognize the phone with no results.

What is the solution?

The same happened to me on Monday. I added her as a driver in my account which allows her phone app to work (without roadside assistance) until after at least 5 business days - then I'll contact Tesla about it again if it isn't fixed already

Yes only the authorized owner of the car can see the car normally. The owner has to contact Tesla to give permission to have the car appear on their phone’s app. Not sure exactly what the procedure is these days as my husband’s car was added to my newly set up account in 2017. When I got my car I had to give Tesla permission to add my car to my husband's app. Along those same lines when my husband ordered our solar system on his account, after getting PTO (permission to operate by utility) he contacted Tesla to allow me to access our solar system on my phone.

For us it took a few days the first time to get the account info updated, but for subsequent requests it happened much quicker.

Last edited:
Ive had these problems several times just have app ready to go and showing prior to using, mine wants the key card every once in while to reset so always carry a card with you. I know every time I've forgot my card it happens my son just last week had to bring my card to my Doctors office a couple of miles from home. No problems just pulled up Netflix and watch some of my shows but now its in my wallet.