Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Died and 2FA Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my phone died on me and i have sent to google for RMA Process..

Sadly I didn't write down my backup codes and now i have no way to use the app in new phone or sign in to web version ..

I called Tesla support and they keep saying that, they are sending a link to my email to reset the 2FA but it never arrives ..

They even switched my email from Hotmail to Gmail thinking its an email issue but i am not receiving their damn 2FA recent link email !!!!

They are now saying i have no choice but to start with the ownership transfer with brand new account and the process will remove all my Free SC Miles !!!! ( have about 30K on them ) !!! )

Has anyone had this issue and successfully got their 2FA reset / remove email with link ?

After verifying my identity and my car information, they send a link to disable but they are having issue sending that link ! Three days without app now! Don't loose that back up codes ppl ! This is a mess !
Have you checked your spam and junk folder? Also, use the DUO Ap to sync your 2FA (I have tested restored from backup with my iPhone and it’s worked).
If you’re an Apple user you can now sync your 2FA codes between devices starting with IOS 15 along with Mac OS 12.

Have you checked your spam and junk folder? Also, use the DUO Ap to sync your 2FA (I have tested restored from backup with my iPhone and it’s worked).
If you’re an Apple user you can now sync your 2FA codes between devices starting with IOS 15 along with Mac OS 12.
yup .. checked all .. then did an email transfer and moved my account from hotmail to gmail thinking its an email receive issue and still no luck .. i dont know what the hell is going on with tesla MFA back end support team .. they kept saying they are sending MFA reset link and it never comes. when i try the normal forgot password reset link from their web that works ( that doesnt help in disabling MFA ) ...

yup .. checked all .. then did an email transfer and moved my account from hotmail to gmail thinking its an email receive issue and still no luck .. i dont know what the hell is going on with tesla MFA back end support team .. they kept saying they are sending MFA reset link and it never comes. when i try the normal forgot password reset link from their web that works ( that doesnt help in disabling MFA ) ...
Weird! You should be able to login into the app as I don’t remember the app asked for any verification codes after providing both email and password to login.

I suppose you’re using Android? It’s been awhile since I had an Android phone, but you should be able to restore everything from your old phone into the new phone from your last backup.

Your Tesla rep should be able to add SC miles to a new account. While I’ve never seen them add 30k miles, Tesla center reps have been able to add SC miles as a purchase incentive in the past. It wouldn’t hurt to ask them if they can just add the miles to the new account and then just delete your old account.

Reactions: Mayoo
Weird! You should be able to login into the app as I don’t remember the app asked for any verification codes after providing both email and password to login.

I suppose you’re using Android? It’s been awhile since I had an Android phone, but you should be able to restore everything from your old phone into the new phone from your last backup.

This Feature is called MFA ( Multi Factor Authentication ) which i enabled optionally and using it without any issue .. its for added security ..wish i should have saved those backup codes .. dammit ..

This Feature is called MFA ( Multi Factor Authentication ) which i enabled optionally and using it without any issue .. its for added security ..wish i should have saved those backup codes .. dammit ..
I know what MFA is, lol. I have MFA enabled on all sites I use that support this feature, including Tesla.

I used to use the Google Authenticator app to manage MFA until I upgraded my phone two years ago and lost all my MFA codes which put me in the same situation that you’re currently in with a lot of websites (including gmail).

Since then, I switched to DUO to manage my codes. Last year, I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max and restored from iCloud backup. All of codes I had setup in DUO still works today.

Since Apple introduced MFA code management in IOS 15, I stated transitioning from DUO to Apple’s implementation because all of these codes are not synced to my iPhone, iPad and my Mac.

Update - 4 days as of today and issue still continues .. earlier tesla said issue on their side .. now they are saying the same thing which is they are sending link but i am not getting it .. not just one email but two emails !!! Hotmail and Gmail !!! how is this possible ? anyways .. escalated to senior team ..

Thanks for Duo and i will for sure switch to duo in the future ...

Wow! Three and a half years later, and my problem is a carbon copy of yours. Lost my phone and had no backup codes. Tesla support said they would email me a password reset and something to nullify MFA. but the latter never came despite the assurances of three separate support reps (over the past ten days) that it was sent

Any suggestions?

So my phone died on me and i have sent to google for RMA Process..

Sadly I didn't write down my backup codes and now i have no way to use the app in new phone or sign in to web version ..

I called Tesla support and they keep saying that, they are sending a link to my email to reset the 2FA but it never arrives ..

They even switched my email from Hotmail to Gmail thinking its an email issue but i am not receiving their damn 2FA recent link email !!!!

They are now saying i have no choice but to start with the ownership transfer with brand new account and the process will remove all my Free SC Miles !!!! ( have about 30K on them ) !!! )

Has anyone had this issue and successfully got their 2FA reset / remove email with link ?
Which number did you call Tesla on? I'm in the same boat as you were and Contact Us requires me to Log In first which is an issue :-(

Thanks

1 (877) 798-3752 (option 4). Like others noted, check your spam/junk email folder after they send you an email, All Tesla email are landing in my inbox, but that one was in junk.
Just wanted to thank you for this. Exact same problem. Spent hours on phone with SC, they couldn't help. I called the number you listed which is for roadside support. I used option 1, explained the situation, and they transferred me to account management. They stayed on the phone with me until I received the link and removed MF and reset. Again, thank you!!

Reactions: arcus