Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone handsfree not working on outgoing calls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very weird. My phone is connected just fine to the car. I never have a problem using the phone as a key. When I try to make a call though with bluetooth, using the voice command, it finds the contact, dials the contact and calls but the audio goes through the phone. Incoming calls though are routed correctly through the car audio.
I have never seen behaviour like this when using bluetooth anywhere else (for example in my Volvo).
Anyone else see anything weird like this.. ideas to fix it? I tried forgetting the bluetooth connection and re pairing...

Sometimes it seems to take 10-15 seconds to actually start ringing, and other times I don't hear anything until the other person picks up. I think there's some kind of bug where the audio is muted or not passed through for some reason for some number of seconds. Other times it works fine. This is an Android 7.0 device (HTC One m9)

This is very weird. My phone is connected just fine to the car. I never have a problem using the phone as a key. When I try to make a call though with bluetooth, using the voice command, it finds the contact, dials the contact and calls but the audio goes through the phone. Incoming calls though are routed correctly through the car audio.
I have never seen behaviour like this when using bluetooth anywhere else (for example in my Volvo).
Anyone else see anything weird like this.. ideas to fix it? I tried forgetting the bluetooth connection and re pairing...
I have the same problem. Report it as a bug.

I found that if I disable media playback to the Model 3 on my phone (HTC One m9 Android 7.0, go into BT settings, go to the Tesla Model 3 device, uncheck media playback) it works 100% (other than obviously I can't stream music from the phone anymore, but I haven't been doing that so...)

The problem seems to be (not sure if car or phone or both are to blame) with switching from music streaming mode to headset mode. By preventing the switch from being necessary, I've "solved" the problem (at least for my phone)