Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone interface question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I use my phone for entertainment, I see a "David's iPhone" choice displayed. Unfortunately, whereas I would expect this to allow me to explore the contents of my phone, it does NOTHING when tapped. Am I missing something?

IMG_6877.jpg

It is just a bluetooth connection to the phone. Any audio that plays on the phone will play through the speakers. I run a podcast app on my phone. ONce I start the app, I can pause, skip forward, change volume with the phone. Can't display the contents of the phone on the car screen though.

Yea i have the same problem sometimes it doesn’t even show the playlist but if it does that’s all you get thru bluetooth

If you put a usb stick with music in folders and stuff you get a lot of options and navigation of that usb stick tho

Here the first picture setting up "select device" as the phone on the MY.
Then a scroll with the playing of that list in picture 2.
Tesla can't do USB playlists. It's one thing that really bugs me. I have a huge music library with playlists. My 2014 Buick Regal GS supports this. I can also select by artist album, or whatever. My daily habit was to jump in the car, select a playlist on the vehicle screen (which includes a variety of artists in a variety of folders) and play it. We have essentially the most technically advanced car in the world...that can't do USB playlists...
And you also can't buy a big thumb drive and have your sentry and dashcam video on the same drive as your music, because music can't be played from anything other than the 2 USB-C ports in the center console.

Tesla can't do USB playlists. It's one thing that really bugs me. I have a huge music library with playlists. My 2014 Buick Regal GS supports this. I can also select by artist album, or whatever. My daily habit was to jump in the car, select a playlist on the vehicle screen (which includes a variety of artists in a variety of folders) and play it. We have essentially the most technically advanced car in the world...that can't do USB playlists...
And you also can't buy a big thumb drive and have your sentry and dashcam video on the same drive as your music, because music can't be played from anything other than the 2 USB-C ports in the center console.

I have my music plugged into the glovebox USB and it works. It's on a Raspberry Pi running TeslaUSB which creates two partitions, one for TeslaCam and one for music. As far as the car is concerned, it looks like a USB stick with the cam and music folders.

Lack of playlist support and other bugs with USB music (like songs listed with the artist in the songs list, but that artist isn't listed on the artists list) still need to be fixed.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I have my music plugged into the glovebox USB and it works. It's on a Raspberry Pi running TeslaUSB which creates two partitions, one for TeslaCam and one for music. As far as the car is concerned, it looks like a USB stick with the cam and music folders.

Lack of playlist support and other bugs with USB music (like songs listed with the artist in the songs list, but that artist isn't listed on the artists list) still need to be fixed.

I created two partitions and mine wouldn't read anything in the glove box USB. I couldn't find any info on it either. Kudos to you for finding the Pi option. Does it create partitions in some special way or with some special names or something?

I don't think there's anything special about the partitions. I run one in the center console of a 2020 Model 3 and one in the glovebox of a 2021 Model Y and both work the same.
That's strange. It cant do usb playlists anyway, but I'm hoping they fix that, and it would be nice to have it all on my glove box drive because there is no unobtrusive USB-c drive, or one with a right angle.
That wasnt a good place for them to put those USB-c Jack's IMO.