Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key always disconnected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone advise me how to solve the phone key is always disconn every time I get out of my Model 3 2021. I have to turn off my blue tooth and turn it on again. Good I always have my card key. I don’t know what it means when it’s says do not forcely closed the app. This is my 3rd day driving my Tesla

What kind of phone do you have?

Also, "do not force close the app" means do not close the app. On an iphone that means dont swipe it away. On an android it means dont close it using whatever process for closing apps is on android.

You also might need to give the app permission on bluetooth (make sure that you dont do any limiting to "when the app is open" or anything like that).

Upvote 0
Can someone advise me how to solve the phone key is always disconn every time I get out of my Model 3 2021. I have to turn off my blue tooth and turn it on again. Good I always have my card key. I don’t know what it means when it’s says do not forcely closed the app. This is my 3rd day driving my Tesla
It really depends on the phone. You may dig deep into this and find out how to optimize some of your phone settings to get it work better. My Motorola phone sucks in connecting to the car, I have to wait sometimes a minute (1 out of 5 times probably) or so. Switching the phone to the Airplane mode and back to the normal mode usually helps. My wife's OnePlus works flawlessly (well, it costs 3+ times my phone, so it better be working right), and when her phone is around the car then the car connects to it and turns on her profile even if she is not in the car.

Upvote 0
My iPhone 8+ works fine. Only once in my 9 months of ownership did the phone connection hesitate when I was out shopping. I just turned my body and tried again and it worked. Strength of the surrounding wifi may affect it; and the physical structures.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 11. I tried to uninstall and install the app and set my iPhone as primary user. I got out of my car and it locked by itself but when I’m inside noticed that phone key is disconnected again.
Sounds as your phone doesn't want to stay connected after some time. It could be some settings in the bluetooth setup that needs to tell not to shut down connection for Tesla app.

Upvote 0
Check the iOS settings for the Tesla app and make sure both Bluetooth and Background App Refresh are enabled. My iPhone Xs and my wife’s iPhone 11 both work as expected.
You don’t need Background Refresh on as I don’t have it on and it works fine. OP try resetting your network settings on your phone (caution will delete all saved Wifi passwords), resetting the MCU, and deleting and re-pairing the phone in the car.

Upvote 0
No don’t need to actively do anything when getting in and out of the car. As long as you leave the app in the background and don’t turn off your Bluetooth (or turn on Airplane mode) you shouldn’t have to do anything.

Upvote 0
I get a notification on my Tesla app on my iPhone X that just started when I downloaded app version 4.0 and now 4.0.1. Under security it tells me to set up Phone Key….even though it shows that it is set up. I’ve tried rebooting the car, turning Bluetooth on and off, rebooting the phone and nothing works. The only way for me to start the car now is with the physical card or by “turning the car on” via the app.

Anyone solve this yet?

Upvote 0
I get a notification on my Tesla app on my iPhone X that just started when I downloaded app version 4.0 and now 4.0.1. Under security it tells me to set up Phone Key….even though it shows that it is set up. I’ve tried rebooting the car, turning Bluetooth on and off, rebooting the phone and nothing works. The only way for me to start the car now is with the physical card or by “turning the car on” via the app.

Anyone solve this yet?
Have you tried setting up the phone key again, as the app suggested?

Upvote 0
That felt a little like hitting the reset button so I was hesitating on that to see if there was a simple solution before going nuclear.
Setting up the phone key isn’t a reset and is easy to do. If the phone still shows up on the Controls > Locks screen, delete it before setting it up again. You’ll need the key card to set up the phone key.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 11. I tried to uninstall and install the app and set my iPhone as primary user. I got out of my car and it locked by itself but when I’m inside noticed that phone key is disconnected again.
The Bluetooth connection will and should disconnect but still paired so that you can use your phone without a Bluetooth connection. Therefore when you get near your car or get in. It will reconnect to it. However the phone key should always show connected, this connection is not via bluetooth. If your phone key is disconnected, the location of your vehicle will not be accurate plus all the controls of the app will not work since you are disconnected.

Upvote 0