Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key and fob range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my phone key and fob ranges are drastically different. Maybe I have a weak transmitter on my 4-year-old phone, but when I use it as a key, it will lock just from me walking from driver side to passenger side of the car. With the fob, i am about 10-20 feet away before it locks. I'm curious what the range on your fobs and phone keys are? Do the new flagship phones have longer range than mine?

I think we will go with a FOB. The issue for us is that it seems like every day my wife has to open up her iPhone (EVEN just holding it to the car) and she has to open the app to unlock.

Not sure what is going on as my Samsung S21 Ultra connects 99% of the time.

2022 M3LR purchased in August.

I think we will go with a FOB. The issue for us is that it seems like every day my wife has to open up her iPhone (EVEN just holding it to the car) and she has to open the app to unlock.

Not sure what is going on as my Samsung S21 Ultra connects 99% of the time.

2022 M3LR purchased in August.
Your wife might need to adjust her settings for the Tesla app. We don’t have issues with either of our iPhones and my wife’s Model 3.

Note that holding an iPhone next to the car makes no difference. Some Android phones have a built-in NFC and can be used as a key card, but the iPhone doesn’t.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
My problem, and expect it’s typical, is that the phone is in the purse, find phone, unlock phone, go to Tesla app, do whatever, reverse sequence. With fob, reach in pocket and click to open trunk or door. The end. Male software and engineers don’t think of much other than their own experiences. Women don’t have pockets in 80% of clothes and when you do have pockets, you don’t want some bulky thing sticking out your side. Back pockets make you look fat and are likely to have phone fall onto the toilet, and are awkward siting down. Get a fob. Make fobs a no-charge option on request. Ensure fobs are fully functional. It won’t break the Tesla bank.

Reactions: MitchMitch
My problem is just the opposite. I use my phone (Pixel 6a) 100% of the time to lock/unlock and drive. In order for the car to auto lock when I walk away, I have to be at least 50' from the car before it locks. I usually can hear the confirmation tone, but if there's a lot of noise around, I don't hear it. I wish it would lock once I'm 10' away.