Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Auto Unlock Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. But here’s the catch, the app also uses Bluetooth 4.0 for quick functions like unlocking, popping the frunk, etc. so you would have to wait for the car to “wake up” (since there’s no always awake mode) if you turned off Bluetooth. I keep my key card in the cash portion of my wallet and I can unlock the car without having to take it out of my wallet - just cover the correct side of the wallet along the pillar and it works. Make sure your wallet doesn’t have RFID blocking though (most newer wallets do, I had to buy one specifically without that tech to use my key card).
Thanks. I was under the impression the app simply communicated to the car via the Internet using LTE or (hopefully in the near future for our 3s) WiFi.

Is the phone supposed to be tied to a driver profile? We thought so but it has never worked for us. We always need to change manually. And like most others it takes a few tries for the phone to work.
I heard that several months ago as well.... it’s supoosed to be. Maybe it’ll come in an update. But the car can handle multiple simultaneous connections, so how does it distinguish between driver and passenger if they both have profiles tied to their phones?

I heard that several months ago as well.... it’s supoosed to be. Maybe it’ll come in an update. But the car can handle multiple simultaneous connections, so how does it distinguish between driver and passenger if they both have profiles tied to their phones?
I would have thought who approached First or if it can tell which phone is on drivers side. But either way it does not work.

The payment card industry has moved on to EMV chips. If your cards have the chip, you don't need to worry about RFID skimming anymore because chip cards don't use RFID. If you still do have an RFID card, demand that they send you a new one that uses the chip, or stop carrying that card around.

Regarding phone key being tied to a profile in the car, this functionality doesn't exist today, but I feel like it's very likely that it will be in the future. From an engineering perspective, it'd be really easy to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: tanner
It was good that Tesla listened to the people who were having issues when their houses were very close to their car, but they should have made it a choice. I'd rather it unlock 10-15 away, because I don't have that issue.

That being said, about 90% of the time it unlocks when i pull the handle, and only 10% do I have to wait a few seconds.

Thanks. I was under the impression the app simply communicated to the car via the Internet using LTE or (hopefully in the near future for our 3s) WiFi.

It does for times when you are out of range of Bluetooth (i.e. you want to check your battery/charging status while you're shopping, or turn the heater on a couple minutes in advance on so your car is warm when you get in), but if that was the only means of communicating with the car, then you'd always have to have the card key with you in case you drive into a poor-LTE reception area. You pair it with Bluetooth when you set up the phone as key - it then uses that connectivity with your phone when it can. If it always used LTE, you wouldn't be able to auto-lock/unlock in a parking garage that was deep underground, for example, because there would be no signal for it to know where you are.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I've been trying to pay attention to how the phone key fails, and I'm starting to conclude that it's not due to the car sleeping, and at least for my phone, the problem is not phone-side. It's the car's BLE module. It must crash or get hung up at times and can't re-establish a connection with the phone, or the existing connection is stale and is waiting for some timeout before it tries a new connection. The solution is either to reboot the center console or to toggle BT/Airplane on the phone. That forces a fresh connection, and things start working again.

To me this feels like something that can be refined on the firmware side of things. I'm quite familiar with issues like this when I flash custom firmware on my Android phones. The bluetooth stack is notoriously difficult to get right for whatever reason. Hopefully Tesla will polish theirs up soon.

• Informative
Reactions: tanner
I've been trying to pay attention to how the phone key fails, and I'm starting to conclude that it's not due to the car sleeping, and at least for my phone, the problem is not phone-side. It's the car's BLE module. It must crash or get hung up at times and can't re-establish a connection with the phone, or the existing connection is stale and is waiting for some timeout before it tries a new connection. The solution is either to reboot the center console or to toggle BT/Airplane on the phone. That forces a fresh connection, and things start working again.

To me this feels like something that can be refined on the firmware side of things. I'm quite familiar with issues like this when I flash custom firmware on my Android phones. The bluetooth stack is notoriously difficult to get right for whatever reason. Hopefully Tesla will polish theirs up soon.
Great insight. Thank you.

It was good that Tesla listened to the people who were having issues when their houses were very close to their car, but they should have made it a choice. I'd rather it unlock 10-15 away, because I don't have that issue.

That being said, about 90% of the time it unlocks when i pull the handle, and only 10% do I have to wait a few seconds.

Exactly!!! The other problem is that my charger doesn't allow me to remove it until I open a door, this is real pain!! Anyone else hate this???

Reactions: nvx1977