Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone key Auto Unlock unreliable recently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iOS 13 has a feature where you can set app BT usage just like location usage. I.e. always, never or when using app. Did you set the Tesla app to always?

I’ve not been able to find this setting yet. First I checked settings under bluetooth but I don’t see apps listed there to select those 3 options. Now under settings where the program app is located, it does offer the 3 choices under location but the bluetooth setting there is simply on or off with no other options. I also have Background App Refresh on as well. If I am missing something, lmk. Has anyone else had an issue with IOS 13? My wife has not updated her phone yet and it seems to be working fine even with Tesla’s update. Seems like this issue may be more likely related to IOS 13 then the Tesla update

I’ve not been able to find this setting yet. First I checked settings under bluetooth but I don’t see apps listed there to select those 3 options. Now under settings where the program app is located, it does offer the 3 choices under location but the bluetooth setting there is simply on or off with no other options. I also have Background App Refresh on as well. If I am missing something, lmk. Has anyone else had an issue with IOS 13? My wife has not updated her phone yet and it seems to be working fine even with Tesla’s update. Seems like this issue may be more likely related to IOS 13 then the Tesla update

looks like it's a bit different then I thought. I know it offers you choices when it runs the first time, but in the settings it's either on or off. It's in the Privacy section though. That's the one I was talking about.

update on this: since my car updated to v10, the phone key seems back to being reliable again (knock on wood). makes me think tesla changed something in the app to work with v10 and people who still had v9 were SOL until they got the car update. that's more than slightly annoying.

I ordered mine yesterday. Please keep us posted on how the new key fob works. Also, can you drive the vehicle with just the key fob?

the fob works well so far, but i haven't used it much since the phone key is working again. i just used it when it first came in to test and make sure it works, and it works exactly how the phone key SHOULD work...keep it in your pocket, walk up to car, open door, get in, drive away. auto lock works when you exit and walk away.

the buttons to pop the trunk and especially the frunk are nice to have, easier than unlocking your phone and expanding the notification to do it IMO. frunk more so than trunk, since the trunk you can just walk up to and press the button if the key is in your pocket.

Reactions: krazyeights
Has anyone else had issues with their phone key lately? I originally had a OnePlus 5 that rarely worked as a key...bought a pixel 3 and it had been flawless until about two weeks ago. Now it's actually almost worse than the op5 was...trunk unlock literally never works unless I take the phone out of my pocket and unlock it, and now door unlock has started doing the same thing more often than not.

My Pixel 3 and 3XL have been (mostly) flawless.
After every single Tesla firmware update, I am prompted to re-authenticate with the card, and something else always goes sideways until after I restart the computer.
Also, after every phone reboot cycle (for whatever reason), you have to re-launch the Tesla app for the thing to start working again. And BT has to be turned ON.

Other than that, the phone-as-a-key has been pretty reliable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kitfox
My Pixel 3 and 3XL have been (mostly) flawless.
After every single Tesla firmware update, I am prompted to re-authenticate with the card, and something else always goes sideways until after I restart the computer.
Also, after every phone reboot cycle (for whatever reason), you have to re-launch the Tesla app for the thing to start working again. And BT has to be turned ON.

Other than that, the phone-as-a-key has been pretty reliable.

i haven't had any of the problems you just mentioned, which is why the phone key is so frustrating. i have had several updates since getting my pixel and obviously rebooted my phone more than once, and it worked just fine until the car was just before v10. once the car updated to v10, everything started working again...so either they had something in the previous software in the car that was causing it (unlikely since other people seemed to be ok), or there was something in the app that was looking for something in v10 that wasn't there yet (and that's what was making my car go fubar). has to be one or the other.

I'm having issues here too with Samsung Galaxy 9 running Android 9.

On approach it sometimes does not recognize my phone and won't unlock the car. If I wave my phone by the rear view mirror it usually recognizes it and unlocks. It has never been an issue on walking away from the car, it locks every time.

i haven't had any of the problems you just mentioned, which is why the phone key is so frustrating. i have had several updates since getting my pixel and obviously rebooted my phone more than once, and it worked just fine until the car was just before v10. once the car updated to v10, everything started working again...so either they had something in the previous software in the car that was causing it (unlikely since other people seemed to be ok), or there was something in the app that was looking for something in v10 that wasn't there yet (and that's what was making my car go fubar). has to be one or the other.

I had Tesla for 4 weeks already and I received today update to v10, no issues whatsoever yet. Using Pixel 3XL. I guess luck is on my side.

I starting having an issue with auto unlocking using my iPhone 7 after the v10 update. I've read through suggestions in this group and update the Bluetooth and location settings to "always" from "while using" - iOS 13 has pop-ups that suggest you only select "while using" and that may have caused the problem. Will test this afternoon, if that change would enable my auto unload.

I found an interesting quirk... I was having an issue with my iPhone unrelated to Tesla so I went into the task view and just swiped away all the apps, including the Tesla one. When I went to open my car it didn’t work. I had to open the Tesla app first. So it appears that the app has to be running, even if it's just in the background, for it to work.

Same problem here and I can tell you that it's not isolated to Android. Before this update, my iPhone always worked. Now I have to open the Tesla app in order for the car to open. At the same time, In hindsight though, I did just get the Iphone 11 so maybe there's an issue there as well. Aside from opening the Tesla app, the only other way I can open the car is to tell Siri, "Unlock my car" which happens through Stats.
You also got iOS13, which very likely changed something related to bluetooth permissions.

I found an interesting quirk... I was having an issue with my iPhone unrelated to Tesla so I went into the task view and just swiped away all the apps, including the Tesla one. When I went to open my car it didn’t work. I had to open the Tesla app first. So it appears that the app has to be running, even if it's just in the background, for it to work.

That is the exact problem I have. I have to have the Tesla app open now or the phone will not open the car nor can I drive without it open. It can be open in the background but open nonetheless.

So my wife and I upgraded our phones from iPhone 6s Plus to iPhone 11 Pro. For over a year getting into the car was seamless and we just walked up and opened the doors or trunk. Now with the upgrade to the new phones we can never just walk up and open the trunk, even the drivers door has issues from time to time.

Does anyone know whats going on? Apple did improve the Bluetooth on the new phones but our performance is WAY less