Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Disconnected Alert But Working Fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 2 days the Tesla app (iPhone) shows key disconnected however the phone works as the phone key should. I have never had a phone key issue and still do not except the app thinks it is disconnected. Have tried turning bluetooth on and off several times and rebooting mthe phone a few time but the error message remains. Any way to correct this?

@Midnightsun no personal experience, but other things you could try:
- sign out of the app and back in
- uninstall and reinstall the app
- delete the phone as key in the car and re-add it
- or the nuclear option: get an Android device :) [just kidding. mostly.]
I have an Android and I'm experiencing the same issue. It seems to have happened after the most recent software update but I only purchased the vehicle one week ago so can't confidently remember if it used to show connected all the time. Now my phone only shows connected when I'm within Bluetooth range but functions properly. When I'm outside of Bluetooth range it shows disconnected. This is the case for both my Pixel 5 and my wife's iPhone And because of this the suggested fixes seem a little strange since it is across two different operating systems. Any thoughts?
Screenshot_20220110-170355~2.png

I, too, have just received a MY console message stating something like, "Phone key not detected, may not restart next time". This was very awkward since I was the only one in the car which had been driving OK, I did exit the car and it did open/start when I returned from shopping.

I always carry my backup keycard, but I was shocked at seeing this warning message for the first time on my iPhone X (OS 15). MY Jan 2021 at release 2021.44.25.2

Now my phone only shows connected when I'm within Bluetooth range but functions properly. When I'm outside of Bluetooth range it shows disconnected. This is the case for both my Pixel 5 and my wife's iPhone And because of this the suggested fixes seem a little strange since it is across two different operating systems. Any thoughts?

@Suzach yes, this is actually how it is supposed to work. Connected means your phone is within Bluetooth range and connected as a key to your car. Disconnected means it isn't. You can still interact with the car in the app (turn on climate control, honk the horn, lock/unlock, etc) because the car is connected to the cellular network. The connected/disconnected status you're seeing there only applies to the phone's ability to act as a phone key (where you walk up and it just unlocks for you, and you put your foot on the break and it starts).