Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key disconnected issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my phone key has been disconnecting, usually happens when I haven’t driven the car in few hrs or used any of the functions. My car wouldn’t unlock when I pull the handle or phone wouldn’t connect even when I’m close to it, but all the other features in the app works. I restarted my phone, logged in and out of app, re-paired my phone with the car, updated with latest software, but issue keeps coming back. Any advice on this? Thanks!

On Android at least, it helps to use the Settings app to turn off battery optimization for the Tesla app. That will allow the app to run in the background on the phone when the car needs to communicate with it.

Sometimes restarting the app (or the phone) helps.

The Bluetooth connection for the Phone Key is separate from the connection for audio streaming and phone calls, so re-pairing won't help.

Another thing you can try is the two-thumb reboot of the car's UI.

On Android at least, it helps to use the Settings app to turn off battery optimization for the Tesla app. That will allow the app to run in the background on the phone when the car needs to communicate with it.

Sometimes restarting the app (or the phone) helps.

The Bluetooth connection for the Phone Key is separate from the connection for audio streaming and phone calls, so re-pairing won't help.

Another thing you can try is the two-thumb reboot of the car's UI.
For anyone reading in 2022, I had this issue today and I turned off battery optimization for tesla app and problem was fixed.

that "feature" is usually the culprit on android. glad you were able to get it figured out mate.
No reason to put quotes around that as it actually is a feature.

It's up to App developers who know they need to run in the background all the time to make a request for background usage that the user can then approve.