Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone key fails after upgrade

So far, i have been working with Apple since Sunday. My wife’s phone has no problem & Tesla was able to recognize my son’s phone immediately, so elimination, Apple seemed to be the culprit. After installing a profile on my phone to collect info on bluetooth connecting & disconnecting to amass log on Tuesday, am supposed to hear from Apple’s software engineers this evening. Will post update as soon as that’s done. Tesla were v helpful & wouldn’t cancel my mobile appointment on Feb 3 despite it being fairly obvious it wasn’t a Tesla problem
Had similar issue : iphone inactive, impossible to open or start the car
the app would still be connected
so the iphone would not let the « add key » procedure : kind of deadlocked situation
what i did
-update tesla app on iphone
-(option: maybe update tesla M3 firmware?)
-be sure to have your main card key at hand
-be sure to delete iphone from the key list in the car
- reboot iphone ( not sure needed, but helps to reset a lot of stuff)
-reboot M3 ( push brake and 2 scroll wheels)
-wait for car power up
-enter the key menu
-when iphone back on : disconnect bluetooth (main switch on iphone) : I then got a message that the car would not be opened or connected because bluetooth off…just ignore it)
-enter « add new key » on the key menu in the car
-reconnect bluetooth « on » on iphone ,
-wait for the iphone to show restored list of devices , specially a tesla « connected »
-go to or open tesla app : you get a message that your phone can be added as a key
-go for it , full normal procedure , validate with the main card key

if it worked : iphone is back on the key list and works fine
I believe tesla is using a separate ( hidden?) bluetooth channel for the key , so the entertainment on bluetooth might be ok while key role is not operative , this you need to shutdown ALL bluetooth on the iphone …
my 2 ç
Marc
M3LR

Had similar issue : iphone inactive, impossible to open or start the car
the app would still be connected
so the iphone would not let the « add key » procedure : kind of deadlocked situation
what i did
-update tesla app on iphone
-(option: maybe update tesla M3 firmware?)
-be sure to have your main card key at hand
-be sure to delete iphone from the key list in the car
- reboot iphone ( not sure needed, but helps to reset a lot of stuff)
-reboot M3 ( push brake and 2 scroll wheels)
-wait for car power up
-enter the key menu
-when iphone back on : disconnect bluetooth (main switch on iphone) : I then got a message that the car would not be opened or connected because bluetooth off…just ignore it)
-enter « add new key » on the key menu in the car
-reconnect bluetooth « on » on iphone ,
-wait for the iphone to show restored list of devices , specially a tesla « connected »
-go to or open tesla app : you get a message that your phone can be added as a key
-go for it , full normal procedure , validate with the main card key

if it worked : iphone is back on the key list and works fine
I believe tesla is using a separate ( hidden?) bluetooth channel for the key , so the entertainment on bluetooth might be ok while key role is not operative , this you need to shutdown ALL bluetooth on the iphone …
my 2 ç
Marc
M3LR
The iPhone as a key is not a problem. The car still recognizes it as a key, just not on the blue tooth as “Tesla model 3, and no (i) designation to remove. Went through all the steps u suggested, still car connects as a series of numbers & letters (key), but no blue tooth recognition. Still waiting for Apple to come back Monday after having copied full blue tooth log

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC