Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key in car - lock with key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a word of caution: I would not leave the phone inside the car if you have activated Siri Shortcuts. I’m sure there’s something similar for Android. Any crook that has been secretly observing your routine may know you leave your phone inside the car and they can easily try to talk to Siri from outside the car and say the phrase “Hey Siri unlock my Tesla” or “unlock the car” and with that they can steal your car and your phone as the voice command works over the cellular connection. Bluetooth can be re-enabled from the control screen without unlocking your phone so they can drive away.
In Android (at least with version 10), you can't re-enable Bluetooth from the lock screen without entering the pin/pattern/fingerprint etc.

This is technically feasible, but so unlikely. Luckily my life is quite varied and unpredictable when it comes to routines!

Also, the phone AND the car can be tracked, so this would be a dumb move for sure...

a few years ago, our rental had a "smash and grab" (yes, that's what they call them in CA) in the San Fran area. They took all the backpacks, but tossed the iPods and phones back! 🤣. Smart thieves. The police told us that the dumb ones take the phones and then get caught!

Update: I have not been able to leave phone in car with run - yet. Just the schedule hasn't been amenable to it. But the "Watch app for Tesla" works reasonable - a bit slow, but can be used in a pinch.

Nice. I have two apps “Watchla” and “Watch for Tesla”. I bought “Watch for Tesla” for $20 before realizing that “Watchla” does the same for $5. 😂

Gotta shop around before buying the first thing that shows up.

Just add the Siri Shortcuts you’re most likely to use. I just think that adding all shortcuts might be a security risk. And I know the phone and car can be tracked if stolen but I rather give them a harder time trying to steal and reduce the chance of the inconvenience of being stranded while the police recovers them.

Last edited:
Reactions: drtimhill
Just a word of caution: I would not leave the phone inside the car if you have activated Siri Shortcuts. I’m sure there’s something similar for Android. Any crook that has been secretly observing your routine may know you leave your phone inside the car and they can easily try to talk to Siri from outside the car and say the phrase “Hey Siri unlock my Tesla” or “unlock the car” and with that they can steal your car and your phone as the voice command works over the cellular connection. Bluetooth can be re-enabled from the control screen without unlocking your phone so they can drive away.
If you leave your phone inside the car, you can just pull the door handle, and the door will unlock. No need to use Siri. Unless you explicitly turned off bluetooth. If bluetooth is on, the only way to prevent the door from unlocking when the phone is inside, is if you lock the car from the center display, while the doors are closed. Obviously, you can't exit the car that way. It used to be you could tap lock on the display, while the door is open, then when you closed the door, proximity unlock was disabled, but one of the updates changed that, so that proximity unlock is only disabled if the door is closed when you tap lock.

I turn off my bluetooth on the phone and leave it in the car and can use the keycard or apple watch to unlock/ock the car.Another option i have used is to leave my phone at home and use my watch to unlock@lock the car if the car asks for the keycard you just push unlock again on the watch no keycard is required.My watch is a non cellular version using the tesla app

Do you want to unlock your Tesla Model 3 / Model Y in new style, you don't need a key fob or key card or even a phone to start your Tesla. No need to worry about losing your key fob or phone is running out of power.This Tesla ring key is a great accessory to replace your Tesla key fob/card or phone. Compared to the phone, your smart key ring requires no charging and no batteries and it is a decoration that suitable for a variety of occasions.
1678961792080.png

Tesery offers a perfect solution. Now you only need a Tesla ring key to unlock your tesla. you can leave your phone in the car, you don't need to carry your key card and it doesn't interfere with your running, swimming or other sports.
If you want to leave your phone in the car, you need to disable the phone as key function. Turning off your phone's bluetooth is the quickest way to do this.
As long as you have your ring key on, you can only unlock your car if you use the correct unlocking method.
Click here for more
1679644227871.png

Nice. I have two apps “Watchla” and “Watch for Tesla”. I bought “Watch for Tesla” for $20 before realizing that “Watchla” does the same for $5. 😂

Gotta shop around before buying the first thing that shows up.

Just add the Siri Shortcuts you’re most likely to use. I just think that adding all shortcuts might be a security risk. And I know the phone and car can be tracked if stolen but I rather give them a harder time trying to steal and reduce the chance of the inconvenience of being stranded while the police recovers them.
Does Watchla work with older model S?

For the android watch OS users like myself, I use WATT KEY.

Reactions: Yeahnah…….
For the android watch OS users like myself, I use WATT KEY.

I've got Watt Time and Watt Key with my Galaxy Watch (android). Also have and NFC ring, just in case. Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

I also wonder if the OP could leave BT on and put the phone in the Frunk. My M3LR always locks when I'm standing at the front of the car, as if it's not detecting the phone key, and I have presumed that it would lock if I left my phone in my Frunk ... but I have not tested this theory.

I've got Watt Time and Watt Key with my Galaxy Watch (android). Also have and NFC ring, just in case. Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

I also wonder if the OP could leave BT on and put the phone in the Frunk. My M3LR always locks when I'm standing at the front of the car, as if it's not detecting the phone key, and I have presumed that it would lock if I left my phone in my Frunk ... but I have not tested this theory.
Just because the car "locks" does not mean it is not in range to unlock when you pull the door handle. The car seems to use triangulation and assumes if you walk away from the car from the front, you want the car to "lock" (mirrors folding), but when it does so that doesn't mean you can't immediately unlock it simply by pulling on the door handle.

Just because the car "locks" does not mean it is not in range to unlock when you pull the door handle. The car seems to use triangulation and assumes if you walk away from the car from the front, you want the car to "lock" (mirrors folding), but when it does so that doesn't mean you can't immediately unlock it simply by pulling on the door handle.
When that happens to me and pull the door handle 9 out of 10 times it does not work. I have to wake up my phone before I can open the door.

I think the walk away lock works based on time. It counts seconds after you step out of the vehicle and close all doors. If you notice, the screen turns off and music stops after you close all doors. So I think it counts a few seconds after that and then assumes you want the car locked.

When that happens to me and pull the door handle 9 out of 10 times it does not work. I have to wake up my phone before I can open the door.

I think the walk away lock works based on time. It counts seconds after you step out of the vehicle and close all doors. If you notice, the screen turns off and music stops after you close all doors. So I think it counts a few seconds after that and then assumes you want the car locked.
It's definitely not timer based alone. When I walk away from the car from the back it takes a very long time to "lock". When I walk away from the front, it immediately locks.

Some possible reasons for this (speculation):
- most people pull into their garage and have the door to house in front, so walking to front usually means they don't need to use the car further.
- people walk to the back to use the trunk, to get things into/out of back seats, or to plug it in, so it may not treat that as the same.

It's definitely not timer based alone. When I walk away from the car from the back it takes a very long time to "lock". When I walk away from the front, it immediately locks.

Some possible reasons for this (speculation):
- most people pull into their garage and have the door to house in front, so walking to front usually means they don't need to use the car further.
- people walk to the back to use the trunk, to get things into/out of back seats, or to plug it in, so it may not treat that as the same.
I have to measure how long it takes. To me it feels like it takes the same amount of time to lock no matter which direction I leave the vehicle or if I just stand next to it.

No, it's based on BT LE triangulation, not time. Try standing next to the care after you get out and close the door. Then walk away.

No, it's based on BT LE triangulation, not time. Try standing next to the care after you get out and close the door. Then walk away.
If I stand next to the car for a few seconds after I get out and close the door it will lock anyway even if I don’t walk away. Done it many times. I just have to time how many seconds it takes and test various scenarios to see if the timing varies.