Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues since latest app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Reactions: ArchHamster
Hi there Florida Sun,
I just got a Y 6 days ago. I have a Note 20 Ultra. The App wont let me log in now. It did for the month before I got the car. When I got the car, the Tech couldn't pair the cell phone with the car and gave up after 20 minutes. My son has a Pixel 6 Pro and it works fine 100% of the time. So, I am stuck. Tesla Support cant figure it out either. It seems to be a "Samsung" issue.
A lot of us had that problem on Fold 3/4 phones. I imagine it's the same issue on your Note 20. The fix was an update that came out a few weeks ago, the so called January security update (which i got the first week of February). Once that got installed all problems went away. See if you are on the very latest firmware for your phone.

Upvote 0
Hi there Florida Sun,
I just got a Y 6 days ago. I have a Note 20 Ultra. The App wont let me log in now. It did for the month before I got the car. When I got the car, the Tech couldn't pair the cell phone with the car and gave up after 20 minutes. My son has a Pixel 6 Pro and it works fine 100% of the time. So, I am stuck. Tesla Support cant figure it out either. It seems to be a "Samsung" issue.
Yesterday, I got a big update on my Fold 4. UI 2.0 or something like that. Phone key has been working since.. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll keep working.

Upvote 0
Yes! I have a Z-flip Samsung and it is doing the same thing. I've tried removing the app from my phone and re-installing after a complete reboot of my phone ( I also removed my previous profile from my 2018 Model 3). I was able to reconnect the phone to my car but I was NOT able to re-establish my phone as a phone-key. I have to use my key card now.

Tesla Tech hasnt solved my Samsung Note 20 issue. They say its an Android problem. 3rd different Tech answer. So, no phone key, only key card. :(

Upvote 0
Same thing here, 2023 Model S and phone key doesnt hardly work at all, although it says connected on the phone and in the car, i had to switch to a iphone, is this still happening to everyone?
It seems to be fixed for most people. A software update that was pushed around the start of the year got it working again after an ealier update screwed up nearby device scanning / low power bluetooth for a lot of devices, not just Tesla.

What phone & android version do you have and what 'android security path level' date is showing under 'about phone' >> 'software information'? You can try updating your phone's software and also uninstalling & reinstalling the tesla app.

Upvote 0
It seems to be fixed for most people. A software update that was pushed around the start of the year got it working again after an ealier update screwed up nearby device scanning / low power bluetooth for a lot of devices, not just Tesla.

What phone & android version do you have and what 'android security path level' date is showing under 'about phone' >> 'software information'? You can try updating your phone's software and also uninstalling & reinstalling the tesla app.
Hello,
My Z Fold 3 still does not pair with either my 2022 model Sor Model X. All the latest software is updated. Any suggestions welcomed.

Upvote 0
Hello,
My Z Fold 3 still does not pair with either my 2022 model Sor Model X. All the latest software is updated. Any suggestions welcomed.
Go to settings, about phone, software information and make sure you are on the March 2023 security patch level.

I have a fold3 and a fold4 and after the February update both work perfectly on my X Plaid. I had the same issue before that.

Upvote 0
Update: After spending 2 Hrs with Samsung text support I was able to get the phone to Bluetooth pair by doing the following:
1. Please Go to Settings >> General Management >> Reset >> Reset All Settings.

Note: It will set all the settings on the phone to default. This will not delete any data from your device.

2. On Tesla screen you have to say forget your device and delete it from the list. Then start a new search on the Tesla screen. Z fold 3 was found, with code, and we are Bluetooth connected.
Note you will have to re pair all other devices to your phone also.
Enjoy

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
I could use some help. I have a Fold 3 and a 2023 MYLR. My Fold 3 has the most recent software update, it is on the March 2023 security patch, but I have been problems with phone as a key working for a couple weeks, it wouldn't unlock or lock the car nor would it start it on its own, I would have press the start button in the app. Then 3 days ago, I tried to uninstall the Tesla app, remove my phone from the MYLR and readd it. Since attempting this, the car says it is added as a key, but it shows Grey and my phone, in the Tesla app keeps telling me to set up Phone as a Key. Phone as a Key doesn't lock or unlock the doors, nor does it start the vehicle, instead I have to press the start button in the app. I can however use my phone to play music and take calls over Bluetooth in the MYLR.

Upvote 0
I was able to get my phone as a key reset up today however it took uninstalling the Tesla app, unpairing the devices, forgetting the phone in the Bluetooth in the car, and then 3 restarts on both devices (phone and car) in order for it to work. After the 2nd restart I was ready to give up, because I had tried to pair the car and the phone for bluetooth, and the car saw the phone but the phone threw and error that said "Can't connect to Tesla Model Y". I tried many times, and then just figured I'd restart both the car and the phone, once the phone rebooted, it instantly asked for permissions on Bluetooth and connected. After that, the set up for phone as key worked. We'll how long it lasts ...

Thanks for the insights.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
I got the same problems with my Samsung S21 in my MY, but it seems unpredictable when. One time my phone is recognized and everything works, and another time I can open the doors and get into the car, but the car doesn't recognize me as a driver. As in: my home and work location are gone, no profile is active and my mirror and seat settings are gone. When I want to select my phone as my profile, I have to reinstall all the settings etc
SW version 2023.20.7
Does a phone need to be connected to the car before one opens the door? All i do now is carrying the phone in my pants when I open the door (sometimes I have to take it out of my pants before the door will open, but this has no effect on recognizing my phone or not)

Upvote 0
SW version 2023.20.7
Does a phone need to be connected to the car before one opens the door? All i do now is carrying the phone in my pants when I open the door (sometimes I have to take it out of my pants before the door will open, but this has no effect on recognizing my phone or not)
Make sure the app can run in the background with location services set to always (not just when using the app). Part of the authentication process requires the app to confirm the app is in the same physical location as the vehicle.

Reactions: QSilverbullet
Upvote 0