Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues since latest app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Reactions: ArchHamster
I just got a T-Mobile phone update (manually checked myself) for my Z Fold 4. After finishing it I was able to successfully communicate with the car on the latest Tesla app version and pair my phone. Hope it works consistently like it used to!

For those that care I just went from the November security patch to December and my version number is BVL7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a similar issue that started around xmas. A couple times a day my Galaxy S21 says it has no SIM card and no signal at all. It tends to happen when I am in my car. In other words my car tend to trigger my phone to completely loose all network with verizon. Is anyone else having this issue? I spend maybe 3% of my day in my car but 95% (or 100%) of the time this issue popped up I was in my car.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I got a new phone and Tesla's Bluetooth pairs with it fine but when I try to use it as a key it doesn't work at all. It even thinks it's added it but the phone doesn't recognize it and doesn't recognize on the phone is in the car. And walk away car locks don't work.

I tried installing the old APK and that did not fix the issue. I've installed APK as many times and this simply didn't fix it for me.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I got a new phone and Tesla's Bluetooth pairs with it fine but when I try to use it as a key it doesn't work at all. It even thinks it's added it but the phone doesn't recognize it and doesn't recognize on the phone is in the car. And walk away car locks don't work.

I tried installing the old APK and that did not fix the issue. I've installed APK as many times and this simply didn't fix it for me.
Same here with a fold 4. Someone in this thread mentioned the January security patch update fixed that for him. I'm looking forward to that update. The old apk does work for me temporarily, but after a few days it starts failing again, very inconsistent. Issue if fixed on pixel devices with an update from Google so Samsung has to roll it out to everyone and we should be fine.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
I just got a T-Mobile phone update (manually checked myself) for my Z Fold 4. After finishing it I was able to successfully communicate with the car on the latest Tesla app version and pair my phone. Hope it works consistently like it used to!

For those that care I just went from the November security patch to December and my version number is BVL7.
Still not working for me, even with the old APK.

Upvote 0
And Tesla is out of stock on the key fobs. But you can get your phone to recognize via NFC if you're on a refresh. You put it in the cradle and pair it from there then you swipe the key card on the other side. So you can touch the phone to the sensor or leave it in the wireless charger and drive.

At least you can use it somewhat this way but it won't close or lock the door when you walk away.

Upvote 0
Very irritating. Without proper car key and app not working. We rebooted the car, we followed above steps nothing is working. Android 13 is working with other Samsung 20 and 22 devices but not with z fold
Some one with a fold 3 claimed that the January update fixed the issue. I'm also with a fold4 and nothing will work permanently... I think we are at the mercy of Samsung to release the fix. The 100% fix exists btw, Google release it for the pixel phones and those are working 100% perfectly now as the Tesla discord.

Upvote 0
I believe that starting with 4.14.4 (I might be wrong on this one) and for newer versions, Tesla added the "Nearby Devices" permission request on the app.
This HAS TO BE ENABLED in order for the app to work correctly, but some older versions of the app don't have it.

Just make sure to check the "Nearby Devices" permission is enabled (if the app version you downloaded from the .APK has it).

To check, go to your device's: Settings -> Apps -> Tesla -> Permissions
Or just press and hold the Tesla app icon and click on App info.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Have a Model S 2022 and Galaxy Fold 4 and this has started within the last few weeks as well. Still waiting on a fix. Same thing occured with my Model Y but I was able to repair and add the phone key again. But still does not work on my Model S.

Upvote 0
I have a zfold4 on android 13 and can't pair either. Tried restarting the car, unpairing the phone, repairing, forgetting and reconnecting Bluetooth, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, sign out and signing back in. Nothing worked. Wasted an hour on this before I found this thread. This has happened in my model y a long time ago and one of the above resolved it. On my model x, no dice.

My work phone, the note20 ultra, paired and connected fine, also android 13.

So frustrating, everything working 80-90 percent of the time is getting really old really fast for me. Thank god i have a key fob. It was so embarrassing, i was walking out to my car as a cop was driving by, he saw i was struggling to get into my car so he stopped infront of me in the parking lot and watched as i pulled out my black card of shame to manually unlock the car like some kind of beast.

Upvote 0
Lol agreed!! I've only had mine since August but I've gotten so used to not touching anything... I approach the car and the door opens for me automatically... Walk away and don't even bother to close the door... It closes itself and then locks the car to the amazement of my passengers as I keep walking not bothering to look back...

Got the point that in the rare instances I drove my wife's car i left it running and unlocked on the driveway... Drove her insane.

Fold4 needs a specific patch, I'm not sure if it's Samsung or Verizon holding it up but that patch came out first for pixel phones and then for other android based phones and keys are working perfectly on those devices... Even the fold3 got the patch. Fold4 owners not so lucky.

Reactions: ArchHamster
Upvote 0
Have a samsung fold 3 and after update will connect to a model 3 but not to my model s. Will show all the info on the app but will not be able to use any of the functions. Tried everything to connect phone key but keep getting the failed to connect error message. Contacted Tesla and they said its an android 13 issue and there is nothing they can do.

Upvote 0
I'm on day 3 with phone key working again. I did the following:
1) Unpair all blueooth devices on my phone
2) Remove all phone keys from the car and also remove audio/phone pairing from the car
3) reboot phone and car
4) Install tesla app 4.14.3 - 1431
5) Re-add phone key
6) re-add bluetooth audio
Finally got my tesla s to work. Did the steps excactly like you wrote. Thank You..

Upvote 0