Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key no longer working after update(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day all.

Since picking up my model y I have had no issue using my mobile as the key.
Well that was until I had three updates in the space of a day and I have no idea what one has broken the functionality.
The car updated to 2022.20.8
The app updated to 4.11.2-1215
My Pixel4a updated to Android 13.

I have a gut feeling that it's something to do with my phone updating from Android 12 to 13.

So far I have tried removing and resetting up phone key, that seems to sync, when I moved away from the car everything locked as expected, but outright refused to unlock.
I can only unlock the car either by the tesla card or within the app.

I have read other posts with other people having issues, saying to try turning off and on bluetooth, same with Aeroplane mode, with no luck.
I have also read about trying to select the Android battery saver mode, I have tried Optimised and Unrestricted, again with no luck.
I have restarted both the Tesla and Mobile.
The tesla app is always running in the background.

So I have now run out of ideas. 🤷‍♂️

What's your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

I had this happen after an Apple update - the new OS meant that the car didn’t recognise it as the same phone.

Simple solution for me was to go into the car and remove the phone as a key and then re-pair it straight after but that doesn’t seem to have worked for you!

Have you got access to another phone you could test it with to see if the same problem happens with it?

Good day all.

Since picking up my model y I have had no issue using my mobile as the key.
Well that was until I had three updates in the space of a day and I have no idea what one has broken the functionality.
The car updated to 2022.20.8
The app updated to 4.11.2-1215
My Pixel4a updated to Android 13.

I have a gut feeling that it's something to do with my phone updating from Android 12 to 13.

So far I have tried removing and resetting up phone key, that seems to sync, when I moved away from the car everything locked as expected, but outright refused to unlock.
I can only unlock the car either by the tesla card or within the app.

I have read other posts with other people having issues, saying to try turning off and on bluetooth, same with Aeroplane mode, with no luck.
I have also read about trying to select the Android battery saver mode, I have tried Optimised and Unrestricted, again with no luck.
I have restarted both the Tesla and Mobile.
The tesla app is always running in the background.

So I have now run out of ideas. 🤷‍♂️

What's your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Got same with same phone (pixel 4a 5g)

Clearly Google "fixed" something in Pixel ohones...

I think I have solved my issue.

On my phone I did a force stop of the tesla app, and cleared tesla app storage, and tesla app cache, uninstalled tesla app, and restarted the phone.
Then within the car I removed the phone key followed by a system restart.
Reinstalled the tesla app on my phone, logged back into my account, it then asked to setup phone key, all went well.

So far "Fingers Crossed" it has been working fine since.

Not having a Tesla (yet) do most people not buy a physical key? I assume you wouldn’t have these issues with the physical key?

I have just ordered the key for my Y for whenever it arrives, as the card seems a faff and using a phone as a key doesn’t work for me.

Not having a Tesla (yet) do most people not buy a physical key? I assume you wouldn’t have these issues with the physical key?

I have just ordered the key for my Y for whenever it arrives, as the card seems a faff and using a phone as a key doesn’t work for me.
I would have thought very few buy the physical key. The vast majority use their phone, I carry the card in my wallet just in case my phone won’t work but touch wood, that’s never happened in 18 months.

Using the phone as a key is perfect for me - it’s always with me, just walk up and the car unlocks, it drives (I use PIN to drive as well) and then walk away and it locks - app even warns you if you’ve left windows down etc. The phone never leaves my pocket and is so so simple. Only issues I have now are when driving the missus car and just walk away assuming it locks itself!

I would have thought very few buy the physical key. The vast majority use their phone, I carry the card in my wallet just in case my phone won’t work but touch wood, that’s never happened in 18 months.

Using the phone as a key is perfect for me - it’s always with me, just walk up and the car unlocks, it drives (I use PIN to drive as well) and then walk away and it locks - app even warns you if you’ve left windows down etc. The phone never leaves my pocket and is so so simple. Only issues I have now are when driving the missus car and just walk away assuming it locks itself!
Fair enough, it’s good to know it mostly works. The only reason I can’t really use my phone is that I have to leave my phone in my car all day most days as I can’t take it into work lol 😂

I buy rugged android phones these days, usually Ulefone (cos I like a battery that lasts a week, and is drop proof)
I never can unlock my M3 unless the phone screen is on and app open.

I think android is too aggressive with backgrounding apps. Tried all kinds of settings on the phone, nothing helps.
I bought a key.

Reactions: daveface
This looks to be an issue with Android 13. Similar issues are being reported on this form and elsewhere on various models of Tesla. From what I can see, most reports are coming from Pixel owners - but then again, it's Pixel owners who will be running Android 13..

Fair enough, it’s good to know it mostly works. The only reason I can’t really use my phone is that I have to leave my phone in my car all day most days as I can’t take it into work lol 😂
If you work for that Gloucestershire employer ;) that does not like mobiles at work, then just leave it in airplane mode in the car and the card in your wallet will work just fine for locking and unlocking. It is not "mostly works" for me but always works.

I occasionally go into OGD places where electronic devices are unwelcome, so that is my routine.

If you work for that Gloucestershire employer ;) that does not like mobiles at work, then just leave it in airplane mode in the car and the card in your wallet will work just fine for locking and unlocking. It is not "mostly works" for me but always works.

I occasionally go into OGD places where electronic devices are unwelcome, so that is my routine.

haha I work for a very large Open Source software company, who contract me out to many many different customers across the UK, it's surprising how many customers don't like external contractors taking in personal mobile devices and laptops. Which is why more often than not it all stays hidden in the car.

I like your approach but I still think a key will be easier :) (plus my key arrived yesterday) Now I just need a car to use it with 🤣

I had the same issue with my android running 13. I think a work around is to turn off/on your BT and that appears to fix it for a while (maybe for a day?). But there should be an update from Google coming out now which I hear might also address it.

Myself and Wife have a Pixel 6 Pro. Both upgraded to Android 13.
Mine wouldn't detect via phone key following the upgrade, her's was unaffected.
Had to remove the key, restart the phone, and set it back up again.

I have phone + card key as the backup, because I'll never leave the house without a wallet. I bought her a physical key, because she will just grab her keys and go without always having a wallet (and hence a backup key if the phone battery dies, gets dropped, or Telsa have a service outage again). She also phone key so she doesn't have to wait for me to open the car door for her, but she knows not to rely on it.
The physical key is quite neat in that it's got both a bluetooth beacon, but also an NFC backup. £150 is a lot of cash though!

haha I work for a very large Open Source software company, who contract me out to many many different customers across the UK, it's surprising how many customers don't like external contractors taking in personal mobile devices and laptops. Which is why more often than not it all stays hidden in the car.

I like your approach but I still think a key will be easier :) (plus my key arrived yesterday) Now I just need a car to use it with 🤣
If you frequently need to leave your phone in your car, then you have good reason to want the Tesla key fob. With the phone set up as a key, leaving it in the car as an active key is problematic. Obviously as long as you always remember to shut it off or disable the app and BT it won't be an issue. But knowing myself I would probably forget when in a rush....

As it's been almost a month since my original post, I just wanted to see if anyone has any progress with the issues if they have been resolved by recent tesla updates, or if it's purely an Android 13 issue.

Model Y: 2022.20.8 > 2022.28.1
Tesla App: 4.11.2-1215 > 4.12.1-1271

I ask as I have now upgraded from a Pixel 4a running android 13 to a Pixel 6a running android 12.
Currently my Pixel 6a running android 12 is working absolutely as expected.
However the phone is begging to me updated to android 13, and I am avoiding this as much as possible until I know for sure the issues are fixed.

Pixel 6 Pro running Android 13 working fine for me, but I use a Wear watch so Bluetooth is active.
One thing to be aware of is that if you haven't got the T icon in the notification area then the key won't be active as the app isn't running in the background.
Tesla made an update to the app which changed the behaviour so it doesn't start automatically after powering up or rebooting your phone.

Reactions: 26ct2143
Pixel 6 Pro running Android 13 working fine for me, but I use a Wear watch so Bluetooth is active.
One thing to be aware of is that if you haven't got the T icon in the notification area then the key won't be active as the app isn't running in the background.
Tesla made an update to the app which changed the behaviour so it doesn't start automatically after powering up or rebooting your phone.
I didn't know this about the T in the top of the screen, thanks will watch out for that one.

Reactions: meavydev