Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key no longer working after update(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taken just now from my wife’s phone:
View attachment 856335

Though this is Android 11 so not sure if it’s been recently deprecated. After turning off optimisation my wife’s phone has never had an issue with acting as a phone key and waking the car.
I was talking about stock Android on Pixels, as the question was about updating to Android 13 and a Pixel 6 Pro.
I'm guessing your wife has some Chinese or possibly Samsung phone.
Speaking with my Android developer hat on, the Chinese manufacturers are a blot on the landscape, as they insist on killing apps in the background and doing all sorts of stupid things to running apps. So steer clear of Oppo, Xiaomi and definitely not Huawei as they have lost Google support.

Seems to be some progress and/or at least acknowledgement from Google:

1664398173648.png

• Informative
Reactions: Irata
I have a iPhone 13 (IOS 16) and randomly have to unlock my phone before it unlocks my car (Doesn't happen all the time). I was going to bite the bullet and order a Key Fob from the Tesla Shop, but it doesn't look like they are selling the key fob any more on the UK Tesla shop. It doesn't even list it as out of Stock item it looks to have totally disappeared.

Reactions: subcritical71
I have a iPhone 13 (IOS 16) and randomly have to unlock my phone before it unlocks my car (Doesn't happen all the time). I was going to bite the bullet and order a Key Fob from the Tesla Shop, but it doesn't look like they are selling the key fob any more on the UK Tesla shop. It doesn't even list it as out of Stock item it looks to have totally disappeared.
Exactly what’s happening to me

Reactions: subcritical71
The isue in the topic is for androids only

Maybe worth updating the title of the thread if you are that concerned about non android users posting. FWIW, ordering a Key fob as a solution to the issue (as some people have suggested in this thread), is not an option at the moment as they are not available on the Tesla UK Shop.
Well issue is that the "issue in question" affects android phones with Android 13 not iOs. If iOS has issue it's different cause

Do we have a conclusion of what to do when the phone key fails? We have several workarounds, but none of them alone always solves the problem. We seem to have multiple causes.

My current guess for a best sequence is:
  1. Toggle Bluetooth.
  2. Toggle Airplane Mode.
  3. Open the Tesla app.
  4. Unlock by tapping the lock icon in the Tesla app.
It is possible that 2 may never be needed. I have seen that 3 works, so 4 is usually not needed. Is it ever needed?

I have also sometimes seen that opening the Tesla app does not work, but toggling Bluetooth does.

What is the most efficient sequence of workarounds to open the car?

The good point is that I hadn't to resort to the key card in a long time. I have always gotten the phone to open the car, sometimes after trying more than one of these workarounds. You still have to carry the key card, because the phone can get lost, break, or run out of energy.

Been experiencing the same recently. Even going into the app it takes much longer for the car to update now.

I have had this issue. It’s frustrating.

I am having the same problem with my Tesla 3, after the update my key doesnt completely work like it used to (Apple Phone 13XS Max). I talked to someone else and they said you might have to talk to Tesla to fix this... Somehow your account is stuck on one of their servers and it needs to be fixed on their side