Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Not Accepted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a strange one yesterday. I was playing around with NFC tags to open the Frunk, which involved an iOS Shortcut script using the Tesla API. I probably did make repeated instructions to open the Frunk in a short period of time, some of which worked and some didn’t.

Anyway a few hours later upon trying to open the car as normal, the screen flashed up asking me to use the key card. I overrode this by unlocking the car using the Tesla App, but once in the car it wouldn’t start without using a keycard placed behind the cup holders.

Could this be related to my ‘over-use’ of the API with the NFC tags? Thankfully we had a keycard with us, but if we hadn’t we might have been stuck (although I suppose I may have been able to remote-start using the app).

Purely co-incidental. App often auto logs out and requires reauthentication.

Car is looking for Bluetooth connection (otherwise you’d be hampered if phone signal was down (API))

Happens to me many times over the year. Quick log in to the main app and good to go.

Anyway a few hours later upon trying to open the car as normal, the screen flashed up asking me to use the key card. I overrode this by unlocking the car using the Tesla App, but once in the car it wouldn’t start without using a keycard placed behind the cup holders.

Usually (but not always) clears after an uncomfortably long period of time. I've been caught out by it several times by it when supercharging.

I was told by a reliable source, an senior SC technician who happened to be at the supercharger when it happened, that I 'hadn't been far enough away from my car before returning to unlock' - not quite sure what that meant.

Had a strange one yesterday. I was playing around with NFC tags to open the Frunk, which involved an iOS Shortcut script using the Tesla API. I probably did make repeated instructions to open the Frunk in a short period of time, some of which worked and some didn’t.

Could this be related to my ‘over-use’ of the API with the NFC tags? Thankfully we had a keycard with us, but if we hadn’t we might have been stuck (although I suppose I may have been able to remote-start using the app).
I did as you did 100% last week and just like you exactly the same thing happened to me.

I deleted my phone key and re-established it and for the past few days it’s working again as normal.

Question. So If you have 3 or 4 people In the household paired with the car. One walks past the car will the car then technically open? Just leaving the handle to pull? Is there a time limit from the phone being recognised by the car then to actually pull the handle to open the door?