Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key not recognizing different people and activating profiles

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
This might be a newbie question, but for some reason my M3P does not seem to know the difference between my wife and I. Everytime we switch drivers, we have to change the driver profile manually. Shouldn't this be automatic based on the phone used to unlock. In the confirmed cases, only one phone was anywhere near the M3P.

Can anyone confirm the M3 should automatically switch driver profiles upon a different phone key (not keycard) used to unlock the car? Further, anyone have technical details on how the M3 distinguishes users when the same user is logged into the Tesla app (assume bluetooth MAC or something similar)?

I'm wondering if I need to delete a phone key and try again. I should also try to see if it auto-switches profiles when using the keycard.

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
No, it does not automatically switch profiles based on what phone it detected. You need to manually switch profiles. I'm pretty glad it works the way it does because usually my wife is first to the car even though I'm driving it.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7

ToothlessTM3

Jun 2, 2019
Copenhagen
For me this is the thing i want the most. @RTPEV The problem with your wife can be solved in many ways by clever software development. For example the system could wait by selecting the correct profile until the driver is seated (which it actually does) then I knows that both you and your wife is in the car. It could then based on the last profile show a dialogue box asking you to switch profile (yes no). With this solution the many cases we have in our household with only one driver would automatically select the right profile for us. I'm suffering from time to time by the fact that my wife is much smaller and sometimes I forget to switch before its to late ... and the steering wheel is knocking me out! :)

Well my point is TESLA have many clever options determining which profile is driving which for me is much better that having to manually select it all the time.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC