Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal opinion, but the fob in my pocket for the S is a lot easier to use than having my cell phone do the job on the 3. Punch - punch = unlock. That's it. From 50 feet away. Blue tooth is iffy on the 3, and several times I've had to go to the app and punch in the code to "use phone as key". IF blue tooth works, well, it takes longer. I've had to wait outside the car (with people wanting to "see how it works) for several seconds. The card works quicker.

I'm supposing there will be an OTA update and fix this.

Personal opinion, but the fob in my pocket for the S is a lot easier to use than having my cell phone do the job on the 3. Punch - punch = unlock. That's it. From 50 feet away. Blue tooth is iffy on the 3, and several times I've had to go to the app and punch in the code to "use phone as key". IF blue tooth works, well, it takes longer. I've had to wait outside the car (with people wanting to "see how it works) for several seconds. The card works quicker.

I'm supposing there will be an OTA update and fix this.
We must be lucky. Ours works flawlessly. My wife just said today she realized her keys have been in another purse for days and didn’t realize it because the car just works. It would be a welcome feature to me!

It would most likely need a hardware change to add an exterior Bluetooth radio. The Bluetooth in the MS is intended for use from the interior and almost certainly would not be powerful enough to reach a phone that is 10-20 feet away.