Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key only works when Model 3 is selected in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that for the phone key to work, the Model 3 must be selected in the app. If our MS is selected the M3 will not open.

I wonder if this is intentional or a bug. First I thought it was a bug...but I imagine that this "feature" makes sense in a scenario where you have multiple M3 in your household.

Maybe the app should have a setting that allows cars to be unlocked by proximity regardless of the car being selected.

Is annoying that when the car does not open you have to open the app and swipe to the Model 3 to open it....I always make the mistake of swiping to the powerwall first...and is slooow

Yeah, we stumbled upon this too.

I am not one who is intelligent enough to state whether this arrangement is a bug or not.

However, I have noticed that if our phone is set to the Model 3, the battery on the phone drains much more quickly than if our phone is set to our Model S (X for those with an X.)

My personal opinion is that it works great for us because my wife drives the 3, and I drive the S. When I leave to drive the S, the Model 3 does not wake up, as it were, if my phone is set to the S.

It only takes a few seconds to change vehicles in the phone app if I wind up driving the 3.