Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key profile question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're getting our Y on Saturday. From the the videos that Tesla sent us I understood tat when I use my phone as a key the car will automatically use my profile settings (temperature, position, etc.) without having to select my own profile.

So if my wife and I both have phone key with different settings, how the car will know which settings to use when we both approach the car and take a seat (with our phone in the pocket)?

I know we can manually select the profile but my question is related to the automated adjustments.

Thanks!

It does not do this automatically. Your profile appears on the screen right top corner. Touch it and the drop down list will be yours or your wifes, choose and set.

It makes sense. But what confuse me is the quote on the video below (at 1:35). They say "You can link your profile to your phone key and your profile will automatically adjust to you as you open the door".

Meet Your Model Y

"You can link your profile to your phone key and your profile will automatically adjust to you as you open the door".
If one of your phones is in range, it should load the profile associated with it. If both are, the car may not know which to pick. I'm not sure about this, but I remember reading that the order in which you paired the phone keys (or the order they are listed in under the key menu) may be relevant.

On a tangential note, one thing you can do is tell the car which phone it should favor for the BT (audio) connection under each driver profile. That way, at least you only have to switch one thing if you are both in the car and the wrong driver profile is active. Once you've set the correct profile, the driver's phone will be the one connected to the stereo.

• Informative
Reactions: ArizonaJon
Hi. I had the same concern when we were waiting for our MY. However, it turns out it wasn't a big deal for us. Each situation is different, but I suspect it wouldn't (shouldn't) be a problem for you either. The video was correct, you can associate a profile to a specific phone key (or vice versa). But, as already mentioned, I am not sure how the car will "know" which of the two phones it detects as "present" (or nearby) will be selected (and therefore, the profile associated with it). Maybe it's a race. If so, as long as you approach the car first, maybe you'll win.

As for setting one of the phone as "primary," as already mentioned also, that's just for Bluetooth connectivity. So, basically, who's phone calls will connect through the car when both phones are in the car.

Hope that helps...

Tagging along on this thread. I have my wife’s and my phone set as phone keys. The issue I have is that the car does not change profiles based on who uses(or unlocks) the car. It defaults to the previous user’s settings.
Example, if my wife was using the car, and next time I use it (alone) when I open and “start” the car, it adjust from Easy Entry to my wife’s profile.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Tagging along on this thread. I have my wife’s and my phone set as phone keys. The issue I have is that the car does not change profiles based on who uses(or unlocks) the car. It defaults to the previous user’s settings.
Example, if my wife was using the car, and next time I use it (alone) when I open and “start” the car, it adjust from Easy Entry to my wife’s profile.
Hi. Just checking... Did you actually associate a profile to each key? If so, when you get in the car, hit the Controls button and select Locks and Keys and verify that the car is using the expected/correct phone key.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung