Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key question...

So, just got my 23 MX LR and was disappointed to find it didn't come with key fobs. I'm trying to make the most of the phone key but curious for those of you that have been living with it how you handle situations where your guest beats you to the car.

I'm sure it won't happen every day, but I suspect it will often. Yesterday was a perfect example. I took my 4 kids to the arcade and bowling. As we were leaving, the kids ran out the door and I paused to put on my jacket and make sure we'd grabbed all of our stuff. I head out the door behind them and they're all pushing the buttons on the handles trying to get the doors to open. With my fob on my S, I'd just reach in my pocket and hit the unlock button. With the phone key, it means pulling out my phone, unlocking it, opening the app, waiting for it to connect, then hitting unlock. This situation has me considering ordering fobs so I don't have to explain to people that they need to wait for me (and even then, on occasion, wait for me to get out my phone) so they can get in the car.

How are you all doing it? Am I alone in this struggle of wanting to unlock the car from 40-100 feet away as I walk towards it?

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
So, just got my 23 MX LR and was disappointed to find it didn't come with key fobs. I'm trying to make the most of the phone key but curious for those of you that have been living with it how you handle situations where your guest beats you to the car.

I'm sure it won't happen every day, but I suspect it will often. Yesterday was a perfect example. I took my 4 kids to the arcade and bowling. As we were leaving, the kids ran out the door and I paused to put on my jacket and make sure we'd grabbed all of our stuff. I head out the door behind them and they're all pushing the buttons on the handles trying to get the doors to open. With my fob on my S, I'd just reach in my pocket and hit the unlock button. With the phone key, it means pulling out my phone, unlocking it, opening the app, waiting for it to connect, then hitting unlock. This situation has me considering ordering fobs so I don't have to explain to people that they need to wait for me (and even then, on occasion, wait for me to get out my phone) so they can get in the car.

How are you all doing it? Am I alone in this struggle of wanting to unlock the car from 40-100 feet away as I walk towards it?
Your only option is to open the doors from the app. A little clumsy, but short of buying a fob, that is your only option. If you normally use Sentry Mode, the car will not be asleep, so it should be relatively quick. Personally, I almost always leave the fobs at home. Not worth (to me) carrying something else around, just to let the kids in to the car.

I ordered a FOB. The phone key for me hasn't worked consistently and the card thing is just dumb. Especially coming from another X.... There is just no beating the ability to stick my hand in my pocket and open the doors. When the delivery guy told me no FOBs and then started talking about apps and cards I was like "you don't have little kids do you?"

I ordered a FOB. The phone key for me hasn't worked consistently and the card thing is just dumb. Especially coming from another X.... There is just no beating the ability to stick my hand in my pocket and open the doors. When the delivery guy told me no FOBs and then started talking about apps and cards I was like "you don't have little kids do you?"
Yeah, I’m about to order one as well.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC