Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key suddenly no longer paired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, not sure if this has been discussed already, but from time to time my phone key suddenly becomes "unpaired" from my MY. Often after a software update, and it seems to correct itself out of the blue a day or so later, but this time, I'm on day 3. Has this happened to anyone before? On a side note, I can't figure out how to re-pair my phone following the instructions in the owner's manual. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I had the same issue after a service call. Both phones (mine and my wife) no longer were paired. The Tesla could see the phone and connect to it, but the phone would not connect to the car. I could not figure out how to pair them. I had to delete the app on the phone and then it asked to pair to the car when I opened the app.

Not sure what type of phone or os you are talking about, but I noticed that since my iOS 16 on iPhone 13 update, that I pretty regularly need to manually pair my phone on entry. That process works well enough, but kind of a pain. Hopefully Tesla and Apple can get on the same page. Probably a pipe dream, I know.

IO 15.7 on an iPhone 13. This is not due to the phone. The car was serviced and they did multiple software updates. Both my phone and my wife's stopped working at the same time.

How do you manually re-pair the phone and car? I had to delete the app to get the pairing function to show up.

Is it truly become unpaired, AKA forgotten or just not connected? That happens occasionally after software updates and typically all I need to do is shut down the app and have it restart again.
No, it is not unpaired. It just cannot connect any longer. The phone shows "not connected" to car. The car shows "connected". They are not in synch and I cannot get them into sync. I rebooted the car. I hard killed the app and restarted it. I turned bluetooth on and off. Nothing worked short of deleting the app and reinstalling it.

This happened a second time today. That is three re-pairings required. One for the wife's phone and two for mine. In two days. This is beyond frustrating.

Reactions: cstork
No, it is not unpaired. It just cannot connect any longer. The phone shows "not connected" to car. The car shows "connected". They are not in synch and I cannot get them into sync. I rebooted the car. I hard killed the app and restarted it. I turned bluetooth on and off. Nothing worked short of deleting the app and reinstalling it.

This happened a second time today. That is three re-pairings required. One for the wife's phone and two for mine. In two days. This is beyond frustrating.
Odd. Yes I would imagine so.

Same thing happened to me for the first time, car suddenly doesn’t detect my phone. Also I added my wife and with her app, the car almost never unlocks itself when she’s by the door first… don’t understand why

Same thing happened to me for the first time, car suddenly doesn’t detect my phone. Also I added my wife and with her app, the car almost never unlocks itself when she’s by the door first… don’t understand why
I find it happens from time to time after a software update. For your wife's phone, has she used her phone as a car key yet to drive the car without you and your phone in it?) If yes, then the car sees her phone. It should unlock the doors.

Not sure if this is the exact same thing but has anyone with this issue tried to simply open the tesla app again on their phone? I've noticed that if for whatever reason my tesla app closes, it shows I'm connected via bluetooth to the car but the key won't work because the tesla app isn't running in the background. I've had a similar thing happen to me several times where I get into the car (unlocked at home) but can't put it into drive and the car prompts me to use the key card. But as soon as I open up the tesla app, all is well.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Not sure if this is the exact same thing but has anyone with this issue tried to simply open the tesla app again on their phone? I've noticed that if for whatever reason my tesla app closes, it shows I'm connected via bluetooth to the car but the key won't work because the tesla app isn't running in the background. I've had a similar thing happen to me several times where I get into the car (unlocked at home) but can't put it into drive and the car prompts me to use the key card. But as soon as I open up the tesla app, all is well.
I'll keep that in mind the next time my phone key suddenly stops working. As far as I know my app is always open, but who knows?

My '22 MYLR has behaved this way like yours since the get.
2/3 of the time it prompts for the card; part of the time it needs the phone off of sleep mode, the rest it wants the App opened.

But I've not be seriously un-paired, ever.