Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone key to open trunk issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have set up phone key, I walk up to the car, I can just push the handle to unlock doors without issue. however, when I approach to the car from rear, I can not open the trunk by pressing the switch under the liftgate. I need to unlock any door first, then it will work. anyone?

Reactions: Cnixon
I have set up phone key, I walk up to the car, I can just push the handle to unlock doors without issue. however, when I approach to the car from rear, I can not open the trunk by pressing the switch under the liftgate. I need to unlock any door first, then it will work. anyone?
You generally need to have your phone in your hand or else a front pocket to be able to walk up, open the Tesla vehicle. If the phone is in your back pocket the BT signal does not effectively propagate through your body.

I have the same issue and have added it to my service agenda EVEN if they give me a *sugar* excuse like the one mentioned above
It's not really sh!t excuse... I used to work with wireless proximity in a previous life. 2.4ghz signal attenuation thru your body is not insignificant. There are so many variances you have to account for when building the proximity detection... Some people carry their phones in the purse, backpack, front pocket, back pocket, etc. Then you have to account for the radios/antennas of the mobile device, as some are way better then others, etc...

TLDR version: There are tradeoffs that have to be made when tuning it. If they tuned it to be more sensitive to take into account attenuation going thru your body for example, then it would have the side effect of making it so you have to walk MUCH further away when you walk away from the car with the phone facing the car. Believe me, this exact use case was one of the use cases I researched back in the early days when my work was collaborating on proximity detection for automotive.

Reactions: Jim R and Pianewman
My phone is in my hand and I am still unable to open trunk by pushing button on trunk. Doors open but trunk won’t.
In which manner? Are you comparing opening the trunk at separate times or immediately after accessing the door?

I never have problems with the trunk immediately after accessing the door, but do when I try to go directly to the trunk.

When I walk up to the back of my MYP from behind, it usually doesn’t allow me to to open the trunk.

The issue is range sensitivity as mentioned in post #5. Sometimes I can get to recognize my phone key being near enough, if I wave my phone above the glass of the hatch/trunk, as far forward as I can reach. Usually, it’s faster to open the app and tap the trunk button.

Sometimes that doesn’t work, until I restart the app itself, not just BT. So I kill the app and wait for it to restart.

Earlier today, my hands were full bags of food, so I walked up and stood by the driver’s door. I saw the screen flicker and knew the car recognized the phone key and was able to pop the trunk (was just able to reach the trunk button on the back).

So WHERE on the car is the proximity sensor/receiver?
My guess would be (was) about the center of the dash or possibly the same module as the card reader behind the two cup holders in the center console. That would mostly centralize the sensor for the doors but leave the trunk a bit far for a short ranged one.

Just looked up the EPC... found the bluetooth module 1508179-00-E (and F)... then looked up the service repair for the image showing where it is...

GUID-D854B53F-DC67-4CE4-AF20-79ACD6D09A7E-online-en-US.jpg

Its the smaller rectangular one below(?) the touchscreen. I'm not actually sure if its below the touchscreen or maybe on the driver's side under the dash.

But! Doing a search for bluetooth on the service manual shows there's a bluetooth antenna in the rear bumper area (which is also shown in the image above, just didn't know it).

So, I have no idea why it behaves the way it does, if its supposed to have an antenna there. Maybe its faulty or something... I dunno.

edit: could be the one in the dash is for the TPMS, but that still leaves the one in the rear and the weird behavior.

Last edited:
I found this related to the option to have your car unlock when you walk up, as opposed to when you try to open the door or truck directly. Once I turned that off the problem with trunk unlocking stopped happening. Ymmv

I found this related to the option to have your car unlock when you walk up, as opposed to when you try to open the door or truck directly. Once I turned that off the problem with trunk unlocking stopped happening. Ymmv
Of course manually unlocking the doors/trunks wouldn’t cause the issue, you are actively bypassing it. And that doesn’t require turning off auto-lock/unlock.

This occurs when the car is set in Driver Lock Mode. This has nothing to do with where your phone is. My phone worked before I got a new phone regardless of where it was on my body. When I tried to open the trunk with my phone facing the vehicle, the screen said, Driver's Lock Mode. Driver's lock mode only unlocks the driver's door and the charging port. When I went into the car and turned off Driver's Lock Mode, all doors and trunk unlocked when I approached the vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe