Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key When Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just set up phone key on my new model 3. I now seem to be able to walk up to the car, unlock it and drive, just by having my phone in my pocket... perfect.

However, when I'm at home and the model 3 is in the driveway I notice that my phone is sometimes connected to the car. Does this mean that someone could open the locked door and drive it away?

If so, how do people get around this?

I have just set up phone key on my new model 3. I now seem to be able to walk up to the car, unlock it and drive, just by having my phone in my pocket... perfect.

However, when I'm at home and the model 3 is in the driveway I notice that my phone is sometimes connected to the car. Does this mean that someone could open the locked door and drive it away?

If so, how do people get around this?
The phone would need to be a feet or two away in order for the door to open. My bedroom is 10 feet away horizontally and on second floor from the car, it's almost always connected, but can't open the door when the phone is in the bedroom.

As a new owner, you'll be very anxious and have the itchy finger to check on the car. Try not to do it too often as everytime you wake the car, you lose range. After that, you'll start wondering what is going on, why is the range dropping.

Relax, it's all normal. Enjoy the car.

with my last phone (Pixel 1), I had to be right next to the car for the doors to unlock. With current phone (Pixel 3a), I can be about 10ft away and it will work. This assumes no walls or obstructions between phone and car. With some walls, that distance likely shortens quickly.

Also, when the phone shows "Connected", it means you can utilize some functions on the app without an internet connection, like manually unlocking the doors from the app. This means if you're in an area of no cell or wifi reception, as long as you are within BT (BLE) range, you can unlock your car from a distance.

Phone as key functionality (not using the app to unlock) still requires very close proximity for the doors to open.

• Funny
Reactions: f308gt4