Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key working less often

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here with 2021 Model Y and the older app 4.14. One day the whole thing stopped working. Had not updated any apps in the phone Galaxy S21+

Would not automatically unlock. I had to open the app and unlock
Would not lock on walk away - I had to open the app and lock it
Would not start after I got in the car. Wanted the card. I had to again use the app to start.

All these things did not happen until the car updates came on. I have deleted and restarted the app, rebooted the car, gave permissions to all that is required but still not luck. I don't know why Tesla screws up something that is working very well.

Well, mine seemed to be a little better over the last couple of days after dropping/repairing my phone. Then this am, I got into the car (unlocked fine with phone in my pocket) then a screen popped up asking me to use my key card on the console to drive! That was bizarre. Unlocked my phone and opened app, and it went away. So I'm not sure what is going on.

Reactions: twilli79
I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems getting my car to open and drive with my phone (Samsung S20). We have owned Teslas continuously since 2014 and are now on our third - Model S, long-range.

Seemingly randomly the car either will not open or when it does open, will not drive with my phone. Often this is at home, but occasionally I am out having driven somewhere and when I return to my car an hour later I cannot drive it. I always carry a black keycard with me now - I am wary of being stranded somewhere, adding a level of anxiety to the car that I dislike. I mess with the settings in my phone, reset the app permissions, and reboot the car - often something does work. This new Model S, purchased 12/22, is more troublesome to drive than our older ones ever were.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Our next EV may not be a Tesla.

Mine hasn't gotten any better (iPhone 13), the worst part is that it's entirely random. Will work fine, then not, no rhyme or reason. Thanfully I have never had an issue starting the car. Well, that's not entirely true, occasionally the screen goes black and I again have to open the app manually on my phone for the car to start when I hit the brake.

Issue is since it's random, it's likely impossible to show to the service personnel. I'd say 1/3 of the time when waking from sleep it just won't open, but is fine otherwise.