Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone keys associated with driver profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numerous similar reports in the Australia thread. I'm tempted to swap our keys and profiles around to test. Of course it will be wrong when driving the car alone, but could isolate a possible bug!

Use the voice command "bug report" to report your findings to Tesla!

e.g. "Bug report ... right-hand drive driver profiles are deciding who the driver is backwards" :)

Just to chime in, with our Model 3 this feature is a complete hit or miss. More often than not it selects the wrong profile even if just one of us is driving. Just a few days ago I went to work and wondered why the seat position felt a bit strange (my wife and I are of similar height, so the adjustments she made are not as easily noticeable). Then I saw that the screen showed her profile, even though she hadn't driven the car in the days prior, and I had only my phone with me in the car. I manually changed the profile and checked the settings, but everything seemed to have been set up correctly.

I mean, it is not life threatening, but as a comfort feature it leaves a lot to be desired in its current iteration.
First world problems I guess.

I'm about to set up my partner's phone as a key and I was wondering if anything has changed since the last post given that we've received a few updates to the car since.
Is there a reliable (as much as it can be) to let the car know which profile it should pick when two phones approach the car? Disabling BT on one of the phones is not a solution for me. So is it still whoever is closest to the driver's door?
If the wrong profile gets picked and the driver manually changes it to correct this, will the car changed randomly to the other user profile because both phones are still inside the car? As other people have mentioned, I don't like the idea that my seat will move in the middle of driving. Is this a real concern?

...So is it still whoever is closest to the driver's door?

If the wrong profile gets picked and the driver manually changes it to correct this, will the car changed randomly to the other user profile because both phones are still inside the car? As other people have mentioned, I don't like the idea that my seat will move in the middle of driving. Is this a real concern?
I'm afraid it seems to be whatever phone is detected first, not which one is closest to the driver's door.

No, it won't change suddenly in the middle of driving. It will select a profile when you start the vehicle, and if it's wrong one, you can press "Stop" and then select the correct one. If you exit the car and return, you might have to do it again. You could also just NOT associate keys with profiles, and the car will use the last profile selected, unless you change it.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer