Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key's have become almost useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For about the last 2 weeks both of our linked iPhone 12's are almost useless as a key. We get in the car and need to use the key card to get going. I look at the phone app and it says the phone is connected. The phone app works, I can lock/unlock the car, turn on/off the ac, and start/stop charging.

I have done a "soft reset" once to no avail, I have toggled BT to no avail, I removed my phone and profile and reinstalled everything to no avail. Now my wife is experiencing the same thing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and just need to start over. I'm about ready to chuck this and buy a fob.

Before I spend that kind of money can you kind folks send some tips or suggestions my way? This is frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks in advance.

Do you park the Tesla inside a garage? If so, do you have LED lighting or LED bulbs in your garage. LED bulbs can interfere with BT.

Also, if you have a powered USB device such as a powered USB hub this may interfere with the BT signal.

Rather than buying a fob, why not consider a key ring? I believe they’re less expensive, around $129 or so, and are much more convenient than carrying around a bulky fob. You can obtain a key ring from most of the after market dealers, such as Tesmanian or RPM Tesla.

Do you park the Tesla inside a garage? If so, do you have LED lighting or LED bulbs in your garage. LED bulbs can interfere with BT.

Also, if you have a powered USB device such as a powered USB hub this may interfere with the BT signal.
Yes and yes. But we really haven’t experienced this level of connectivity issues as we have in the last two weeks. I’ve decided to delete/wipe everything and start over. I’ll do a soft reset first. More to follow.

For about the last 2 weeks both of our linked iPhone 12's are almost useless as a key. We get in the car and need to use the key card to get going. I look at the phone app and it says the phone is connected. The phone app works, I can lock/unlock the car, turn on/off the ac, and start/stop charging.

I have done a "soft reset" once to no avail, I have toggled BT to no avail, I removed my phone and profile and reinstalled everything to no avail. Now my wife is experiencing the same thing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and just need to start over. I'm about ready to chuck this and buy a fob.

Before I spend that kind of money can you kind folks send some tips or suggestions my way? This is frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks in advance.

You may want to remove the phone key from the car setup, and then add it again.