Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone lights up on acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
On brisk starts or firm braking my phone lights up on the wireless charger. Most of the time the battery percentage flashes as well. Anyone experience this and/or have a fix? It's kind of distracting.

Phone is a Pixel 5. Y is a 2022 LR.

It’s likely that your phone lifts off the charger for a split moment and stops charging due to the coils separating too much (hence the battery % showing). Then settles back down and charges again.
I tested this theory by lifting the phone slightly up and down off the pad and it didn't light up.

It almost seems like it's getting an electrical boost from the pad when I accelerate. But I guess that doesn't explain why it lights up when I decelerate.

Yes the wireless charging pads are insufficiently bolstered for hard driving. :)

I sent my phone flying off once or twice in my M3P, though more from cornering than acceleration. Now I put my phone in the cupholders or other more secure location for really hard driving.

Mostly I just don't push the car quite that hard anymore after exploring its limits early on. Also I have a bigger, heavier phone now that stays put better (went from Pixel 3 to Pixel 6), well enough for twisty roads where there's no room for getting too aggressive.