Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Mount: My Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my phone mount solution in case it suits someone else's wants. I researched this for a while before finding the solution I wanted by chance. To summarize: I wanted a minimal mount that worked with a pop-socket.
20210625_191840.jpg

First: I wanted a mount that didn't take away from the simplicity of the car, perk if I could hide it from view. In my Model S I used to have one of those small magnet balls where I'd just touch my phone to it and that was all. The mount was so minimal it worked great. I couldn't find a good spot with the design of the Y where that mount would have worked as nice.

Second: I use a popwallet with a pop socket. With my magnet mount I would have the magnet above the wallet so it was never an issue. Since that isn't really an option with the Y, I wanted a solution that wouldn't require me to pop the wallet off everytime I mounted it.

Lastly: I don't really use my phone much whole in the car (as in I don't use it for navigation or the like). I have a pretty strict no phone usage while driving rule; however, I do stream music from it and sometimes use waze when I know the traffic will be tricky to where I do have the occasional glance. I wanted something other than the wireless charging spot so it's safer to look at but didn't need full visibility.

After considering MANY different options, I settled on wanting something I could mount behind the screen and could work with my popwallet/socket. Finding a mount that would bend from the back to the front, that wasn't a big gooseneck, and could work with my setup, was a struggle. That's when I came across the official Popsocket mount. Once I realized it was flexible to bend the direction I wanted, it felt like the solution I was looking for, and I could hide it from view.
20210625_191113.jpg20210625_191119.jpg20210625_191158.jpg20210625_191239.jpg20210625_191259.jpg
I just installed it, and did not install the 3M plate that came to it, just the suction cup portion. I live in FL where you have to be careful with mounts melting, but with all the windows tinted and the car spending 95% of it's time in the garage right now, it's a good time to test.
20210625_191419.jpg20210625_191555.jpg20210625_191522.jpg20210625_191654.jpg
I'll come back to this post and update overtime if anyone is interested.

Looks good but I’m not a big fan of mounting the phone out near the windshield like that. Heat destroys batteries, especially when charging, and the sun pours though the windshield during certain times of the day with mounting locations like that and would hit it dead on.
I would like having it so accessible like you have, but be sure to keep a check on the phone temp, especially in FL.

Looks good but I’m not a big fan of mounting the phone out near the windshield like that. Heat destroys batteries, especially when charging, and the sun pours though the windshield during certain times of the day with mounting locations like that and would hit it dead on.
I would like having it so accessible like you have, but be sure to keep a check on the phone temp, especially in FL.
Good point. Since my goal isn't to mount the phone everytime I drive, I see this being less likely than other's situations but good to keep in mind. With the Y, having it further from the windshield means having it lower, which may as well use the wireless charging spot.

I would also think with the air vents being behind it it would keep it cooler than other cars too, maybe even cold to the touch (and I have UV tint on the windshield which helps tremendously with the heat).

I’m having the same challenge; I don’t want wires and anything to take away from the minimalistic look. This looks like a good option but I don’t use popsockets; I’m trying to find some solution that leverages MagSafe tech while keeping with the same minimal aesthetic of the car.

Thanks for sharing; I’m sure others will find this very helpful.

I’m having the same challenge; I don’t want wires and anything to take away from the minimalistic look. This looks like a good option but I don’t use popsockets; I’m trying to find some solution that leverages MagSafe tech while keeping with the same minimal aesthetic of the car.

Thanks for sharing; I’m sure others will find this very helpful.
Not sure if you have found one, but I saw this today Foldaway Phone Holder with MagSafe

How is this setup holding up a year later? I'm struggling to find a compatible phone mount since I don't have magsafe and this seems like a really good idea. Out of curiosity, it looks like you had more room to the edge of the screen on the back when mounting. Any particular reason you didn't position it closer to the edge to give the phone more space from the screen? It seems like every screen phone mount I've seen has the phone nearly overlapping the screen and I'm just wondering if there's actually some limitation I'm missing.