Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone/music question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

An Owner

Mar 24, 2021
NY
Question, does anyone know if you can listen to music while on a call through your air pods? Air pods are connected to my phone. Phone is connected to the car (obviously). I thought I was able to hear music while on a car at least once before and now I can't. (I can do this in any other car). Looking forward to your responses! Thanks.

In my experience, if your phone is connected to your car as a key, a phone call will, or should, override any music, whether it's coming from the car or from your phone. IMHO it's a safety feature. I anyone has a workaround, let us know.

BTW, in many states it's illegal to use any kind of ear buds while driving. Be safe.

Reactions: Shelburne
Upvote 0
In my experience, if your phone is connected to your car as a key, a phone call will, or should, override any music, whether it's coming from the car or from your phone. IMHO it's a safety feature. I anyone has a workaround, let us know.

BTW, in many states it's illegal to use any kind of ear buds while driving. Be safe.
Thanks for the response! I didn't realize talking on a bluetooth device is illegal! It's odd since I can connect my phone to any other car's bluetooth and take a call on a device and the radio not be interrupted.

Upvote 0
You cannot listen to music from your phone while on a call, period. However, if you have Spotify, like I do, you could listen to Spotify from the car's 'connectivity', and I assume you could talk over the phone with background music, but not entirely sure. Like others, my question would be Why? I don't even talk on the phone while driving, let along do it along with music, but it's your life :). Take care.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response! I didn't realize talking on a bluetooth device is illegal! It's odd since I can connect my phone to any other car's bluetooth and take a call on a device and the radio not be interrupted.

Talking on a bluetooth device isn't illegal. Using headphones is the problem, because you might not hear what's happening outside.

Whether the music should mute when on a call is a matter of personal preference. It would be good if Tesla provided an option to control that.

Reactions: RedModel3
Upvote 0
a bit off subject but not really - When I get a voice mail on my email (attached in the email as a wav file) on my cell, and play the file, it does not play through car speaker. but the phone does. If I disconnect phone from car, then it plays n phone. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Talking on a bluetooth device isn't illegal. Using headphones is the problem, because you might not hear what's happening outside.

Whether the music should mute when on a call is a matter of personal preference. It would be good if Tesla provided an option to control that.
Thanks!! I agree. It is personal preference for me. I'm in my car a lot! and yes get lots of business calls! sometimes having the low mellow background is soothing for me. I'm definitely a multitasker!

Upvote 0
You cannot listen to music from your phone while on a call, period. However, if you have Spotify, like I do, you could listen to Spotify from the car's 'connectivity', and I assume you could talk over the phone with background music, but not entirely sure. Like others, my question would be Why? I don't even talk on the phone while driving, let along do it along with music, but it's your life :). Take care.
Unfortunately, I'm always on my phone - SAFELY! I'm a realtor and my car and my phone are my lifeline. Having music in the background while on a call is relaxing for me - it's also nice when a good song is on and the phone rings to not have it interrupted - keeps me in a good mood on long days. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
There is a setting under accessibility (iphone) to route calls through a headset and music through a different bluetooth source. Also, I've found that the AirPod Pros on transparency mode are fine, and safe, for use while driving as you can still hear everything as you normally would. I have had an issue a few times where the call would transfer away from my Airpods to the M3 though.

Upvote 0