Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone music streaming to MS even when far away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very strange occurrence this morning. My 2022 MS was parked at home and I took the train to work. AirPods connected listening to Spotify on my phone.

About 30 min into the train ride my music cuts out. Tried YouTube and it’s playing to my AirPods but Spotify audio isn’t coming through AirPods even though the progress bar is moving on the song. Then I noticed the Spotify app showed it was connected to my MS. My wife had just gotten into the MS for a school drop off and Spotify on my phone started playing on the MS while I was a good 25km from home!

Is this normal behaviour? The only thing I can think of is the MS took over my currently playing Spotify audio as it’s the same Spotify account in the car and on my phone.

There’s no way your phone was streaming to the car via Bluetooth at that distance, so the fact that both you and your wife were trying to listen to the same Spotify account is the likely culprit. I don’t know how Spotify handles concurrent streams from the same account.

Very strange occurrence this morning. My 2022 MS was parked at home and I took the train to work. AirPods connected listening to Spotify on my phone.

About 30 min into the train ride my music cuts out. Tried YouTube and it’s playing to my AirPods but Spotify audio isn’t coming through AirPods even though the progress bar is moving on the song. Then I noticed the Spotify app showed it was connected to my MS. My wife had just gotten into the MS for a school drop off and Spotify on my phone started playing on the MS while I was a good 25km from home!

Is this normal behaviour? The only thing I can think of is the MS took over my currently playing Spotify audio as it’s the same Spotify account in the car and on my phone.
The standard Spotify premium subscription only allows 1 device to play at a time, you can see (and switch) which device is playing in the phone's app.

We're quite a fan of this feature as it lets us use any phone as a remote, additionally, the lyrics is also shown synchronised on all devices as well, even though they might not be directly playing. Makes for fun time karaoke-ing during long trips :) as Caraoke is missing a ton of songs.